Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How do you feel about authors promoting their books on message boards?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu November 6th, 2008, 12:31 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Yeah! You come on here daily. You talk to us. I'm glad you showed us your cover and tell us when your book is coming out. Like I said before, you're part of the community so I will support you! :D [/quote]

Absolutely. The same over at the HF discussions at Amazon. There's an author who posts regularly, and she is contributing to the discussion by recommending books significant to the thread at hand, but signs off as the author of...... I have no problem with that at all. Besides, we have a writer's corner and announcement section here and I think it's a great place to mention what's going on with authors and their books.

i have to be honest. when i see an
author with ONE post next to their name
and a MY BOOK IS COMING OUT BUY IT HERE
as that one post--it makes me NOT want
to buy the book. not want to look at it even if
might have interested me!
That's my problem as well -- at least for me it doesn't come off well when an author jumps in and hypes his book. Just like at the store I like to shop quietly and only want to talk to the saleman when I'm ready to buy. I sooooo hate it when I go to Sears to buy the smooth cooktop cleaner in the appliance department (best price around for that stuff) and the salemen are all over me like vultures waiting for prey. I remember when Divia posted at Amazon asking for recs on Civil War from a woman's POV and posters were all over, including at least one author suggesting his book based on his male ancestor during the Civil War. Then he got huffy when she said thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu November 6th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Oh, I remember that. People were upset cause I said no to their books. Um, its not my fault I dont want to read your book which doesnt have anything to do witht he topc. :rolleyes:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Hoopking
Scribbler

Post by Hoopking » Thu November 6th, 2008, 1:57 pm

I sooooo hate it when I go to Sears to buy the smooth cooktop cleaner in the appliance department (best price around for that stuff) and the salemen are all over me like vultures waiting for prey.
The unfortunate thing about these poor people is most of them work on commision and that is why they become vultures, the same as car salesman. Also, many companies grade people on their customer service and if they don't say "hi" and "may I help you" to everyone they see they can lose their jobs, if a secret shopper happens to be in the store at the time they don't aknowledge the customer. It's a difficult balance for the salesman.
Last edited by Hoopking on Thu November 6th, 2008, 3:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu November 6th, 2008, 2:34 pm

[quote=""Divia""]You got it!

The authors who are here are part of the community. And I think thats the difference. We've had a lot fly by night authors stop by, join, tell us about their book and then never show up again. I hate that!

[/quote]

There was an author on the old board who joined, posted once or twice, nominated her own book for book of the month, and then disappeared into the sunset. She didn't even stick around long enough to vote for her book, since it got 0 votes!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Hoopking
Scribbler

Post by Hoopking » Thu November 6th, 2008, 5:10 pm

nominated her own book for book of the month
As good as I 'think' mine is I couldn't imagine doing that--this person has got a lot of boldness.
Last edited by Hoopking on Thu November 6th, 2008, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Thu November 6th, 2008, 5:14 pm

[quote=""Hoopking""]As good as I 'think' mine is I couldn't imagine doing that--this person has got a lot of b***s.[/quote]

ha! i don't think it takes much balls
to do a "drive by" publicity post.

since she wouldn't have to ever come back
to see what happens with it!

and thanks guys, for your encouragement!
i love online communities! =D
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Thu November 6th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Oh dear...I might have got off to a bad start on my first day by mentioning my new book. Enthusiasm for the subject was my motive and if that has caused offense, I apologise. I did not come here with that motive in mind - and simply appreciate all the vast knowledge and interesting subjects on your lovely forum. (I don't intend to simply mention that one book and disappear - there's so much else to learn here). Sorry if I have made a mistake there!

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Thu November 6th, 2008, 5:32 pm

christina, i wasn't referring to you!
you have TEN posts already! =)

and when i intro'ed myself, first post or so,
i def mentioned that i wrote and had a book
coming out.

it's such a huge part of me! and what i'm
doing. congrats!

cindypon.com

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Thu November 6th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Thank you :-) Oh and I understand "It's such a huge part of me and what I'm doing."

Thanks!! :-)

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Thu November 6th, 2008, 5:55 pm

i've always wanted to visit yorkshire!

we go to england every year (my hub is
english), but we've never traveled that far
north. everyone tells me it's beautiful!
are you from there, christina?

cindypon.com

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”