Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nefertiti by Michele Moran

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Nefertiti by Michele Moran

Postby LCW » Tue August 26th, 2008, 5:25 pm

This novel is a story of two sisters, one whose drive and ambition take her to the top of the world and the other who just wants a normal life....far away from the dangerous political games her sister is playing. Nefertiti and Mutnodjmet (Mutny) grew up leading quiet lives in rural Egypt. All this comes to a screeching halt when Nefertiti is chosen to be Chief Wife of the hot blooded Pharoah with an obssession for Aten, a minor Egyptian god.

Nefertiti is chosen by her Father and her Aunt, the Pharoah's mother, because with her strong personality they believe she will be able to reign in the Pharoah and temper his hand ensuring that it is their family that holds the real power behind the throne. Nefertiti soon becomes enamoured with her new found power and her popularity with the people and is somewhat swept up along with her husband in his dreams of glamor, power, and immortality.

On direction from her father she does what she can but she is unable to stop the Pharoah from using the Army to build a brand new city in the middle of the desert designed to honor Aten and be a monument to him and his queen....an army that is desperately needed to stop a Hittite invasion threatening from the north! To further complicate matters, her family's position is threatened by Kiya, the Pharoah's other wife, and her schemeing Father because while Kiya has given Egypt a prince Nefertiti gives birth to one daughter after another.

Meanwhile, Mutny becomes her sisters handmaiden and remains her closest friend and confidante. But secretly she longs for a family and a home of her own. This seems impossible as she is required by her family to play her part in keeping them the most powerful family in Egypt. As her sister rises higher and higher, Mutny feels more and more trapped in a destiny that is not her own. Finally, a tradgedy forces her to claim her independance and break away from her sister to start her own life on her own terms.

This was an exciting novel that was full of action, wonderful period detail, and it had a compliated, interesting plot. I've not read much fiction set in ancient Egypt but this has certainly wet my appetite for more. The characters are well rounded and complex and the relationship between Nefertiti and Mutny is beautifully depicted. There is a scene that had me laughing out loud where they are both praying to the Hippopotomous goddess of fertility but they just can't seem to stop their sisterly bickering long enough to get through the prayers. I don't know it the author intended the scene to be humorous but I found it charming as well as funny.

There is also an interesting dynamic between the Pharoah and his daughters. The reader expects him to be dissapointed as Nefertiti gives him daughter after daughter but each time the Pharoah is overjoyed. I won't give the reason away but I thought it was a brilliant look into his mind.

This story makes me want to research and learn about ancient Egypt, esp. Mutny and Nefertiti. I found the first part of the novel a bit slow but the second half more than made up for it. I highly recommend this one!

Kailana
Reader

Postby Kailana » Wed August 27th, 2008, 3:27 am

This book made me want to read more Egyptian stuff too. I actually bought a couple books but haven't read them yet. I am looking forward to her next book which is out next month!

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Sun December 28th, 2008, 4:14 pm

"LCW" wrote:This was an exciting novel that was full of action, wonderful period detail, and it had a compliated, interesting plot. I've not read much fiction set in ancient Egypt but this has certainly wet my appetite for more. The characters are well rounded and complex and the relationship between Nefertiti and Mutny is beautifully depicted.

There is also an interesting dynamic between the Pharoah and his daughters.

I also really enjoyed the novel's high level of detail and the politically motivated intricate dynastic plotting. This family was extremely motivated to attain and hold power at any cost. In addition to Michele's excellent family portrayal of a dynasty pursuing long term power, the individual relationships between the sisters, between the father and each of his daughters, as well as the ones with the father's sister, the former high queen, is especially interesting to experience.

I am reminded that thousands of years ago, people then also had common feelings and complicated relationships that exist today. Except that we are not all rulers and worshipped as living deities! ;)

Michele's descriptions of the lifegiving river, city construction in the desert and other physical locations were very well done. I think I almost fainted from the heat during the first long river trip.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Helen_Davis
Compulsive Reader

Postby Helen_Davis » Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:07 pm

I wish she'd write about Cleopatra!
http://evaperonnovel.wordpress.com

"The first time a book has gotten us close to Evita, in all her misery and all her splendor."
Excerpt from the Spanish summary of my novel

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Wed October 7th, 2009, 6:04 pm

I have been reading about Egypt for years. So I had to get this when it first came out last year. I am currently reading it for the second time. It is one of my favourite Egyptian novels.

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”