Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who's seen a ghost?

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Sat October 31st, 2009, 3:46 pm

This is such a cool thread!

I've never seen a ghost, but I swear the first time I visited Auvers-sur-Oise and Vincent's grave, he was there.

Ummm trying not to be a spoiler, but if you've read my book or are reading it, the bit with the crow at the very end really happened. In that second I was even afraid to turn around, because it did feel like someone was standing right behind me. It still gives me chills to think about. I wrote the whole book because of that few minutes' experience.
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Sun November 1st, 2009, 6:49 pm

I have seen a ghost, the house we lived in in Alabama was haunted. My brother and I both experienced things there. I've had a handful of odd experiences aside from that, but there are 2 that really stand out.

The first one isn't really mine, and I'm shortening it a bit, but you'll get the gist:
When my husbands parents were first married, they lived in a town North of Boston. They had matching wedding bands engraved with their initials and the wedding date. One day Hubby's Dad threw a stick into the woods and his ring flew off and was gone. He never replaced it. a couple of years later they moved about 20 miles away. My husband was born, and when he was 12 or so his dad died. About 15 years later my mother in law sold the second house and moved to a third town, about 10 miles south of the second house. About a month after she moved in, on Halloween night, she cam home and went into her bedroom. (New house, new bed, new bed clothes) There on the middle of the bed was her late husbands wedding band.

The second one: About 5 years ago my husband and I went to Salem Ma for the day, I was dying to go to a psychic, and there were plenty to choose from. I went past all of them, and something made me choose this one woman. She said hello, but did not talk to me about anything. She just asked for a piece of jewelry to hold. She held it for a moment and then looked at me and said you just lost a baby and he is right here next to you. (I had had a miscarriage a month before, and always felt it was a boy). She proceeded to tell me so many things there was no way she could have known, things only a family member could know, but most importantly that my lost baby was by my side. I've had another loss since then, and I like to think the two of them are both with me.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Light within Us" by Charlotte Betts
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun November 1st, 2009, 8:14 pm

Your experiences are very touching Mrs M.

My mum had exactly the same "miscarriage" experience that you did - a medium told her she'd lost a baby (years after it happened) and that it was a boy, and she too always had a feeling that it had been a boy, even though there was no proof what the gender was.
Currently reading: "The Light within Us" by Charlotte Betts

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun November 1st, 2009, 10:05 pm

In my last semester of library/grad school, the History Club held a members only Halloween party in one of the theater buildings which had a haunted history. In the 30s, an actor had hanged himself after a one man performance with horrible results.
While we were there, a few things did happen. Some students standing in one part of the stage felt hot and cold at the same time. Knocking noises from the building's old pipes periodically sounded. At one point there seemed to be a shadow near the sound booth in the balcony.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun November 1st, 2009, 10:17 pm

[quote=""MrsMorland""]

The first one isn't really mine, and I'm shortening it a bit, but you'll get the gist:
When my husbands parents were first married, they lived in a town North of Boston. They had matching wedding bands engraved with their initials and the wedding date. One day Hubby's Dad threw a stick into the woods and his ring flew off and was gone. He never replaced it. a couple of years later they moved about 20 miles away. My husband was born, and when he was 12 or so his dad died. About 15 years later my mother in law sold the second house and moved to a third town, about 10 miles south of the second house. About a month after she moved in, on Halloween night, she cam home and went into her bedroom. (New house, new bed, new bed clothes) There on the middle of the bed was her late husbands wedding band.
[/quote]

Mrs Morland that's almost exactly what happend to a close friend of mine. In her case, her father was given a ring by her mother, but it was always a bit big for his finger and he was scared of losing it. Anyway, one day he took it off to wash his hands and when he went to put it back on, it had vanished. He and his wife searched high and low for that ring but no sign. He bought himself another one eventually and got on with his life. 20 years later his wife died. 10 years on from that, he himself was becoming frail and felt he needed to move into sheltered housing. A couple of weeks before he moved he had a very vivid dream that his wife was alive and in bed with him. When he woke up, he was still reaching for her, but of course she wasn't there and it made him quite sad and upset. Later that morning the cleaning lady arrived to do her work and whilst vacuuming the bedroom, found his lost ring on the floor between the bedside table and the bed. She had been coming to clean the house for 10 years and that room had been redecorated in that time. There is no way that ring could have been there - but it was.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 4:38 pm

The family that bought the house we grew up in from my parents about 9 years ago say their children have been seeing spirits there and asked us, somewhat shamefacedly, whether we had ever seen anything. We were there almost 30 years and never had any such experiences.

Rachael H
Scribbler

Post by Rachael H » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 10:27 am

Before I was born my parents bought, and started to do up an old farm workers house (it had a demolision order on it, it was so bad). Nothing happened until I was about 4/5 when I asked my mum about the old man that was standing in the corner of my bedroom. My mum, who was reading me a bedtime story at the time, said that she felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up but she didn't see anything. I described him afterwards and talks with the neighbours revealed that he was the last owner of the house. I don't really remember anything about it but apparently he came a few times.

I haven't seen anything since but sometimes feel uneasy in certain rooms of old places.

Return to “Chat”