Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who's seen a ghost?

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun October 19th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Who knows, Michelle, maybe you have seen ghosts and just didn't realize it, like EC's dh.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon October 20th, 2008, 12:15 am

Who knows, Michelle, maybe you have seen ghosts and just didn't realize it, like EC's dh.
HA! How crazy would that be?!

Perhaps EC's right and some people are more sensitive to it than others. And if I do ever see one, it will probably happen exactly as Divia says - when it's least expected.
Last edited by michellemoran on Mon October 20th, 2008, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Mon October 20th, 2008, 3:22 am

My dad had a similar experience as ECs dh! He was on his milk round, so it was a road he knew well, and he had my brother in the van helping him. They were pulling out of a side road onto a main road. Opposite them sat a car with a man in it......well, if it had not been known to them as a hegde....they sat there for ages looking into this car. Dad eventually pulled out onto the road, went up and came back again. The car had gone and the hedge was back. There was no place for a car to park, and no traces of one being there, but they both saw it!

Dad changed his route for a while!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

soliloquies

Post by soliloquies » Mon October 20th, 2008, 7:50 am

My Mum saw quite a few ghosts over the years. Mum had a sweeping brush thrown at her and another ghost used to sit on the end of her bed. Fortunately I've not seen anything ... yet. :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon October 20th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Pat, did you ever figure out who the man was? He must have been from a time before the hedge was planted.

This reminds me of the story about the basement of one of the pubs in, I think, York, England. People reported hearing tramping noises and seeing Roman soldiers marching through the basement - but only from their knees up. In Roman times, the ground level was a couple of feet lower than the basement floor, it turns out. Also, the soldiers were wearing green, not red, which made some people question the story until a researcher discovered that at a certain period in York, the soldiers' tunics were indeed green.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon October 20th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Margaret, that gives me chills!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon October 20th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Wish I'd seen them - I think.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon October 20th, 2008, 10:42 pm

[quote=""pat""]My dad had a similar experience as ECs dh! He was on his milk round, so it was a road he knew well, and he had my brother in the van helping him. They were pulling out of a side road onto a main road. Opposite them sat a car with a man in it......well, if it had not been known to them as a hegde....they sat there for ages looking into this car. Dad eventually pulled out onto the road, went up and came back again. The car had gone and the hedge was back. There was no place for a car to park, and no traces of one being there, but they both saw it!

Dad changed his route for a while![/quote]

Thanks Pat - that validates my Dh's experience. He's not a fanciful guy at all, and he still can't explain it to himself - which bothers him on occasion.
Margaret, yes I've heard that story about the Roman soldiers before.
I once saw a drama on TV about two ladies who had gone to Versailles and somehow slipped through a hole in time and ended up at the court of Louis XIV. It was supposed to be a true story. I bet it's about online somewhere.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon October 20th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Versailles timeslip event. Here it is on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_slip
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon October 20th, 2008, 11:11 pm

When I was a teenager my family rented a large old house while we were having a home built. It was part of an estate, the land was still being farmed but the house was not being used. We all experienced unusual activities while living there. My parents constantly got up during the night to check on us kids after hearing footsteps down the hall, and my sister's friends refused to stay over after experiencing otherwordly lights, voices and music from the large lounge, formerly a reception room, next to my sister's bedroom.

My strangest experience was the night I was lying in bed in the dark (the room was huge, with an old-fashioned light pull in the centre of the room, miles away from the bed.) The door opened and someone came in. I heard the footsteps cross the room and papers on the stand next to my bed were rustled. I thought it was my sister playing tricks, but when there was no response to my questions, I got a tad nervous. The hair rose on the back of my neck and I lay frozen in bed for ages before daring to leap out and turn the light on. There was no-one there, as i'd suspected, the door was firmly closed and my sister was fast asleep on the other side of the house.

I had the feeling mentioned of parallel times- it was as if people in a past age were carrying on their lives at the same time as us.
The land was eventually subdivided and the old house sold and carried off to a new location. I often wondered if the ghosts went with it!
Last edited by annis on Mon October 20th, 2008, 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Chat”