Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who's seen a ghost?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun October 19th, 2008, 4:17 am

I've had the same experience! :eek: And like you I was not amused. My hair was even movingin the breeze and there shouldnt have been a breeze.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Christine Blevins
Scribbler

Post by Christine Blevins » Sun October 19th, 2008, 5:20 am

You don’t believe in me,” observed the Ghost.
“I don’t,” said Scrooge.
“What evidence would you have of my reality beyond that of your senses?”
”I don’t know,” said Scrooge.
“Why do you doubt your senses?”
”Because,” said Scrooge, “a little thing affects them. A slight disorder of the stomach makes them cheats. You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There’s more of gravy than grave about you, whatever you are.”
--A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens

Years ago, we went on a trip to Scotland. I wasn't writing then, but I was always a history nut, and I did a lot of research in preparation. We booked a room for a few days in a hotel called Culloden House, in Inverness - this old manor house served as the headquarters for the Scots who rallied to Bonnie Prince Charlie the night before the famous battle that put an end to his bid for the throne.

Anyway, back to the spooky part: we had a beautiful room with a view of the front lawn. The first night I slept sound. But the second night I woke up in the middle of the night. The room was flooded with moonlight. I sat bolt upright and I swear there was a man in a frock coat with lace at his cuffs and throat, standing near the fireplace. He had sharp features, and he was wearing a long, dark, curly wig. He looked at me and clapped his hands slow, three times - clap- clap- clap.

It was a jolt. I shook my husband awake, and of course, the man was not there anymore. My pragmatic guy claimed it was just a vivid dream from an excited and over-stimulated imagination. I was really enjoying the trip - and he might be right. But this 18th century man was so REAL! I had a hard time falling back asleep.

The next day I told the manager about my experience, and he didn't blink. He said people there saw "things" all the time - but usually in the hallways. So who knows? I like to think I saw a ghost - but maybe it was the haggis I had for dinner!

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sun October 19th, 2008, 9:08 am

We house sat for the Duke of Bedford in his stately home in Yorkshire. Hubby would not sleep in one of the beds, we had to sleep on a matress on the floor! He was spooked the whole time! We were with mum and Becky who was about 4 at the time, he would not go round the house on his own after dark. He could 'feel' so much! It really freeked him!

I feel my dad and my nans presence around, but never seen a ghost!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sun October 19th, 2008, 9:32 am

I've not exactly seen any, but I have felt them at times.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sun October 19th, 2008, 9:35 am

My Dad's seen a ghost. When he was about 7 or 8 his Mum, (my Gran) became quite ill and had to go to hospital. One night he woke up in the middle of the night and saw her standing in the doorway. She was only there for a minute and he thought that she had just come home. He said it made him feel safe and so he went back to sleep. The next day he found out that she had passed away in hospital overnight.
Alsion Weir made the same thing happen to Elizabeth in her novel and said it was quite a common thing. Spooky!
Also, I think I've sensed a ghost. It was in Maine, when we were on holiday there a few years ago we stayed in a house that was on the edge of a big wood. One of the bedrooms always, always smelt of flowers for some reason. None of the other rooms did which was odd but there was a strong atmosphere in the whole area. I always had this feeling that I was trespassing for some reason. Then we learned that the house may have been built on or near an Indian burial ground :eek:

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun October 19th, 2008, 10:32 am

My dh always said he would never believe in a ghost until one walked up and spoke to him. Famous last words.

One hot august afternoon about 6 years ago he took our dog for a walk to the next village via the countryside back path. This path runs beside a sheep field that leads to the river Trent. Since it was so hot, my dh took the dog off the path and let him have a cooler in the river. They had to cross the sheep field but the dog was under control. However, as he came back to the path, mission accomplished, the farmer was waiting for him. He was a disreputable old codger with only one eye and he drove a battered blue Ford Cortina. Dh could see it parked on the other side of the stile. The farmer was renowned for lurking in the car, hoping to spy on courting couples and keeping an eye on his sheep field. He and the dh exchanged some sharp words about Roger going off the path to cool the dog. Dh came home a bit miffed and a bit defensive and told me all about it. Cut to a few weeks later and we're talking to a neighbour who knows the local farming community well and works among them. Dh told his story. The neighbour gave him an odd look. 'You couldn't have spoken to him,' he said. 'He's been dead since last November.' Dh insisted he had. How many one-eyed farmers driving old blue cortinas were there about? I told the story to our butcher who is also a local man in the know and he confirmed that this farmer guy had been dead since before the previous winter... So dh HAS had a ghost come up and speak to him!

Margaret, lovely story about Yeti. Divia, yes, I think animals definitely have souls too.

Misfit, when I went to the HNS conference in York with my psychic friend Alison, we stayed at a lovely B&B. I was having a goodnight chat with Alison in her room and she suddenly said 'There's a presence.' I couldn't feel anything, but she was aware of several people, but in a vague way. Strangely I wasn't spooked - maybe I'm desensitized because I'm used to having John Marshal drop in on me as and when he wants, or perhaps I wasn't on the same wavelength. Anyway, I went back to my own room and wasn't in the least troubled and slept well. In the morning I went to tap on Alison's door to see if she was ready for breakfast. She looked a bit baggy eyed and I asked her how she had slept. 'I didn't,' she said. 'There were people watching me and tramping around all night and I couldn't get to sleep.' She wasn't scared, just exasperated.
When I got home I told my son and DIL about this as they had recommended the B&B (which was really nice). DIL gave my son a hefty nudge and said 'See. I TOLD you that room was haunted!' Apparently when they had stayed there last year they had had that same room as Alison and the DIL had spent all night quaking under the covers, convinced that people were watching her and that there was something in the room!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun October 19th, 2008, 2:01 pm

When I was living in SLC, the house we owned had a ghost in it. There was a section of the basement that was unfinished, with lumber and what have you about, the walls finished and paneled, but clearly meant to be a room. It was just as though someone had set down the tools and walked away. It was a part of the basement that no one liked being in, and compared to the rest, felt rather uncomfortable, and dank. Even the _cats_ avoided it, and Gwenny, my spaniel, would wimper when she was near it.

Other times, I've felt as though I was being watched, and other folks mentioned that there was something off. Not good, not bad, just _there._

A few years later, we found out why. Turns out the couple who had owned the home before us lost their young son -- he was about ten -- in an auto-pedestrian accident. The room downstairs was to have been a play room for him.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun October 19th, 2008, 2:27 pm

[quote=""Perdita""]My Dad's seen a ghost. When he was about 7 or 8 his Mum, (my Gran) became quite ill and had to go to hospital. One night he woke up in the middle of the night and saw her standing in the doorway. She was only there for a minute and he thought that she had just come home. He said it made him feel safe and so he went back to sleep. The next day he found out that she had passed away in hospital overnight.
Alsion Weir made the same thing happen to Elizabeth in her novel and said it was quite a common thing. Spooky!
[/quote]

We talked about this type of experience in the ghost class and apprently it is quite common.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun October 19th, 2008, 2:33 pm

[quote=""Divia""]We talked about this type of experience in the ghost class and apprently it is quite common.[/quote]

What's the ghost class Divia? It sounds interesting!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun October 19th, 2008, 2:58 pm

[quote=""EC2""]What's the ghost class Divia? It sounds interesting![/quote]

We talk about different types of ghosts. And let me tell you I had no idea there were so many! And the reasons why they could come back. We also talked a little about demonology (dont like freaks me out) and about if a ghost story could be true or not. We also discuss ghost stories from the area, which is very fun cause people like to hear ghostly events near their homes. It was only 50 bucks for 3 nights. My last night is this Wed. It was fun. I enjoyed it. My only wish is we could have dome some ghost hunting, but alas no due to insurance reasons. :(

Return to “Chat”