Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rosemary Hawley Jarman

Michelle2
Scribbler

Rosemary Hawley Jarman

Post by Michelle2 » Sat October 18th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Anyone ever read anything by this author? I've just ordered The King's Grey Mare, Crown in Candlelight, and We Speak No Treason II from Amazon. i was intrigued by the synopses of the books but haven't found anyone I know who has read them.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat October 18th, 2008, 8:55 pm

[quote=""Michelle2""]Anyone ever read anything by this author? I've just ordered The King's Grey Mare, Crown in Candlelight, and We Speak No Treason II from Amazon. i was intrigued by the synopses of the books but haven't found anyone I know who has read them.[/quote]

I've tried reading these but I found her prose style very offputting. Some find it lyrical; I found it purple.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 18th, 2008, 9:40 pm

I'm waiting for The King's Gray Mare to come in from the library and that's going to be my last shot at her. I tried the We Speak No Treason books, I like the first one about the brown maid and the second with the fool's viewpoint but I finally lost interest and bailed in the third one the keen sighted man or what ever it is. I tried Crown in Candlelight also but I lost interest when she took the story to Wales (lord knows, I love stories in Wales). I will admit that I had other books claiming my attention at that time.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sat October 18th, 2008, 10:23 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I've tried reading these but I found her prose style very offputting. Some find it lyrical; I found it purple.[/quote]

Jarman's writing style is a bit old-fashioned, especially compared to today's style. That said, I did enjoy Crown in Candlelight. I liked The King's Grey Mare, too, just not as much -- she does do some interesting things with Elizabeth Woodville. I haven't read We Speak No Treason, though I have it.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Michelle2
Scribbler

Post by Michelle2 » Sun October 19th, 2008, 4:14 am

Hmmm....maybe I should have asked before I ordered the books! will let you know what I think!

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Post by eclecticreader10 » Sun October 19th, 2008, 4:46 am

I read King's Grey Mare about about 35 years ago and loved it. It was a real introduction to HF. I recently bought 3 of her books at library UBS for $1 each.

Aneca
Scribbler

Post by Aneca » Sun October 19th, 2008, 3:11 pm

I started We Speak No Treason last week but got distracted and started something else. I must try again...

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun October 19th, 2008, 9:59 pm

I have 4 of her books but have only read We Speak No Treason. I liked parts of it but overall, just thought it was OK.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri December 26th, 2008, 7:54 pm

I have to confess that EC mentioned that she liked Crown in the Candlelight and I immediately ordered it from amazon. I had a hard time getting into it but I think it was the fact that I had alot going on so I don't think it was the book and it finished rather well. I have since bought the Kings Grey Mare, We Speak no Treason and We Speak no Treason II, I have not yet read them. I like her style, sometimes you run across a refreshing and new style or at least one you have not had the pleasure of reading in awhile and hers is that for me.

love_uk
Reader

Post by love_uk » Mon August 31st, 2009, 6:20 am

Read Crown in Candlelight many years ago & enjoyed it a lot - it was the 1st time I'd ever heard of Owen Tudor - and now that I know so much more about Henry V, think I'd like to read it again.
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

Return to “By Author”