Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

book discussion group?

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
chuck
Bibliophile

book discussion group?

Post by chuck » Sat October 18th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Is there a need to develop a group of "forum members" who would choose a book collectively read and discuss it weekly?....I don't mean to put this on the Moderators....Why?....I need to push my myself and explore other interest in HF....I tried a few of these groups at my local library....but they were too opened ended for me....modern fiction, bios. mysteries, and very little HF.....So we lovers HF....What do you think? I'm not sure if it's even feasible....maybe there is a online model we can look at....I could use some motivation....maybe we could use the popular book of the month winner as a book to read....with a time limit and discussion questions etc.....
Last edited by chuck on Sat October 18th, 2008, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: missed words

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sat October 18th, 2008, 7:43 pm

I thought that was what book of the month was for.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 18th, 2008, 7:57 pm

I've never been one for groups as my book choices change with the wind and my mood. As for a model, take a look at these on goodreads.

chuck
Bibliophile

book of the month

Post by chuck » Sat October 18th, 2008, 9:37 pm

[quote=""Volgadon""]I thought that was what book of the month was for.[/quote]

What would compel me to read the book of the month choice?....Other then If your part of a group with a assignment to respond to a weekly discussion question....That's all....It was just a suggestion to generate discussions on people opinions on selected readings.....just an idea....probably to regimented for a HF forum....

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat October 18th, 2008, 11:08 pm

In another reading forum I'm in, we'd have monthly discussions like we do here, but sometimes a group wanted to do a discussion on a book right now. So they just set up a thread, and voila. Sometimes it got very interesting (the one for Don Quixote had three members and went on for about a year. I had read the book before but had no idea how much I missed....). I think we do the same here, more or less - we comment on reviews, then discuss them, and anyone can join in at any time. Are you asking for something different that I'm not getting?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 19th, 2008, 12:28 am

Chuck I don't see anything wrong with starting a thread on a book in the general discussion forum, and anyone can jump in that wishes to. I agree, I don't participate in the BOTM here unless it's one I've read and/or interested in reading.

chuck
Bibliophile

Discussion

Post by chuck » Sun October 19th, 2008, 12:40 am

[quote=""Ash""]In another reading forum I'm in, we'd have monthly discussions like we do here, but sometimes a group wanted to do a discussion on a book right now. So they just set up a thread, and voila. Sometimes it got very interesting (the one for Don Quixote had three members and went on for about a year. I had read the book before but had no idea how much I missed....). I think we do the same here, more or less - we comment on reviews, then discuss them, and anyone can join in at any time. Are you asking for something different that I'm not getting?[/quote]

Ash....I think your right about the spontaneous discussions on HF forum....It's more my problem....I'm looking to get out of a book rut I'm in....I guess I was seeking a more of a disciplined approach to forcing my self to stretch my reading interests.....Thanks

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun October 19th, 2008, 1:07 am

Is it a particular time period or type of book you are trying to get away from? I bet we could come up with some ideas, and then if one appeals, set up a thread for it. I tend to get stuck in a rut as well, and sometimes need a pull (or usually a kick) to get me reading something else.

I do notice that most of the threads here are about European history, esp British. Maybe someone could wake up some of the other threads with a list of HF of other countries, other time periods?

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun October 19th, 2008, 3:19 am

Yes....I think I'll do a 180 degrees and give Elmer Kelton a favorite Western writer a go (comfort reads)....He does not write fast draw; shoot em ups, but regular people who just live in the Old and Modern West and are trying to do their best make a living in really tough times....Real solid characters and intelligent stories.....Margaret has a great website...listing at least 3000 books and concise reviews....I'll give her a go....I'll eventually get through these reading Blahs....Thanks again for your kind words of wisdom....Take Care...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun October 19th, 2008, 3:29 am

I might start a thread about how to get through a reading slump to get you some other ideas!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Site Suggestions”