Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

All Hallows Eve reads

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun October 19th, 2008, 12:53 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Has anyone read Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian? I'm sure that mentions Vlad the Impaler! I actually loved this book which seems to be a bit of a marmite book - you either love it or hate it.[/quote]

LOL re the marmite Vanessa (which I love). The Historian was a DNF for me. I really liked it at the start; it had that cosy Victorian Gothic feel, but I faltered mid book and the cookery magazines started coming out. :rolleyes: So it went back to the library uncompleted. :(
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun October 19th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Yes, I love marmite, too! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun October 19th, 2008, 1:34 pm

oh the Historian, I agree with most that it did get dull for a chapter or two but then it picked up again, I didn't think i would like it but ended up loving it.

I'm waiting till friday to order it but Bathory: Memoirs of a Countess is supposed to be an accurate telling of Elizabeth Bathory and her some 600 virgin victims, I read a page or two and my gosh if she truely witnessed what she did as a child no wonder her elevator didn't go to the top floor! you kinda feel sorry for her.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Black Run" by Antonio Manzini
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun October 19th, 2008, 4:39 pm

It's true The Historian does sag a bit in the middle (too much description of post-war Hungary) but it does pick up again and overall I enjoyed it, and some of it was quite creepy! I wasn't that keen on the original novel of Dracula, but love the Gary Oldman film - it has its flaws I know but it looks great and GO is brilliant as Dracula, I also like Sleepy Hollow because it's creepy and gruesome but also quite funny, and JD is great in it of course.

My Halloween read was going to be The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill, but as I've been sent The Heretic's Daughter to review I'll probably be starting that around the 31st, still it is about witches!

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Sun October 19th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Yes, I read the Historian as well and it did drag a bit at some point, but there was something there that kept me reading anyway and I did love it overall.

Sleepy Hollow was great and so was The Others !

I have a good "ghost" film ready for Halloween, it's called The Haunting. I hope it'll be good.
I like a good "ghost" film aslong as it's not with "the devil" ! When I was a lot younger I went to see The Exorcist in the cinema and, ridiculous as it may sound (!!), it scared me ! Since then no more "devil" films for me !!

Michelle2
Scribbler

Post by Michelle2 » Sun October 19th, 2008, 6:33 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Don't forget to read Frankenstein as well; I was amazed, when reading it for a book group, how many levels and themes it had.

Oh, favorite Dracula movie that I was tricked into seeing (I love silent movies) - Nosferatu.[/quote]

Frankenstein.....I was so looking forward to it. I hated it. Couldn't finish it.

Count me as one who didn't like The Historian, either. Did not finish.

I haven't read Stephen King since high school. I may get a few of his books to freak me out in the Halloween season.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun October 19th, 2008, 6:36 pm

I've read Among the Shadows by LM Montgomery. This collection of short stories has a darker tone, unlike her other novels or short story collections.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun October 19th, 2008, 7:14 pm

oh interesting. I never heard of those. Hmm may have to put it on the every growing list!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon October 20th, 2008, 12:35 am

[quote=""Carine""]I have a good "ghost" film ready for Halloween, it's called The Haunting. I hope it'll be good.
I like a good "ghost" film aslong as it's not with "the devil" ! When I was a lot younger I went to see The Exorcist in the cinema and, ridiculous as it may sound (!!), it scared me ! Since then no more "devil" films for me !![/quote]

I hope you have the 1963 version of The Haunting with Julie Harris and Clarie Bloom. It's so much better that the more recent version with Catherine Zeta Jones. However, nothing quite compares to Shirley Jackson's book (one of my favorites; I re-read every five years or so).

The only time I've ever seen the Exorcist my friends (in the throes of hormonally driven teenage love) left me alone in the middle so they could make out. I never forgave them! Imagine -- alone in a dark room watching that.

I like to read short stories this time of year. Usually I can make time for them when I can't for a novel. This year, I've picked out Ambrose Bierce's haunted civil war stories and several others by Algernon Blackwood.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon October 20th, 2008, 1:49 am

An American Haunting is really good, kinda creepy in a way. The Amittyville Horror with Ryan Gosling gives the viewer the Eebby-Gebbies or was that just me?

Return to “General Discussion”