Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon Antics

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue May 10th, 2011, 9:05 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]OK, I can understand you don't agree with the author's ideas on parenting, but why attack someone for reviewing the damn book?[/quote] Exactly. Spewing vitriole accomplishes nothing; it's certainly not going to bring anyone over to your way of thinking. It only makes the person doing the spewing look like a Neanderthal (with my apologies to Neanderthals everywhere). Sometimes it's even hard for me to not allow snarky defenses to reflect on the book's author. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes my mind just wants to make that connection.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue May 10th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Sometimes it's even hard for me to not allow snarky defenses to reflect on the book's author. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes my mind just wants to make that connection.
I know, and I tend to get a bit suspicious when commenter(s) are so rabid in that manner over any and all critical reviews, even coming back weeks later to see what's new. At least in the HF genre it's very rare to come accross it, and on at least one occasion we definitely did tie the detractors into solid connections with the author :mad:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Greg
Reader

Reviews- naughty or nice

Post by Greg » Wed May 11th, 2011, 4:02 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I know, and I tend to get a bit suspicious when commenter(s) are so rabid in that manner over any and all critical reviews, even coming back weeks later to see what's new. At least in the HF genre it's very rare to come accross it, and on at least one occasion we definitely did tie the detractors into solid connections with the author :mad: [/quote]

To Misfit and the rest of HF, to review or not it is the question? I’ve deeply reflected on this over the past several years considering it was my opinion of one 'novel' that I read some time ago that convinced me to get serious about writing. In brief the plot, storyline, characters and historical content was so abysmal that I swore I could do better. Since then I have usually been circumspect in my reviews I have rubbished one supposed novel of HF on my blog and praised quite a few. On Amazon and similar I usually give someone at least a pass for their effort and I endeavour to stay away from leaving vindictive comments. If however someone makes blatantly false claims in a review though, I feel it essential to point that out without being rude or offensive.

Regards Greg

Blogging on the Tudors at http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot.com/
Blogging on History and contemporary events at http://prognosticationsandpouting.blogspot.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed May 11th, 2011, 4:14 pm

[quote=""Greg""] I’ve deeply reflected on this over the past several years considering it was my opinion of one 'novel' that I read some time ago that convinced me to get serious about writing. In brief the plot, storyline, characters and historical content was so abysmal that I swore I could do better. Regards Greg[/quote]

LOL, I think a lot of writers had wall-banging moments. It happened to me with a string of badly written fantasy novels. Of course, I had a lot more respect for the bad writers after I tried my hand at it! :o
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed May 11th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Actually, I think those "I could write something as good or better than this" moments are how a lot of writers get started. :) And quite often they do write something better!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed May 11th, 2011, 5:08 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Actually, I think those "I could write something as good or better than this" moments are how a lot of writers get started. :) And quite often they do write something better![/quote]

You are probably right. Although I know of one author ticked over a three star (!!!) review called me a frustrated author wanna be. I have no intention of trying to write a book thankyouverymuch.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed May 11th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I have nothing substantive to add here, really, but wanted to thank you all for the enlightenment. It's not all Amazon, of course, but I have seen a few of these flare-ups from a distance. Not being a joiner for flame wars, I stand among the head-shakers we seem to have among the crowd - but it's interesting to get some context and a few interesting perspectives here.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue August 16th, 2011, 3:16 pm

There's a reviewer I've come across several times at Amazon that has me scratching my head at how "Vine Voice" status is awarded. Her reviews are generally so inane that I can't figure out how she managed to become a Vine Voice, unless her mom and BFFs stuff the ballot box with positive votes on her reviews. :p

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 16th, 2011, 3:57 pm

[quote=""Michy""]There's a reviewer I've come across several times at Amazon that has me scratching my head at how "Vine Voice" status is awarded. Her reviews are generally so inane that I can't figure out how she managed to become a Vine Voice, unless her mom and BFFs stuff the ballot box with positive votes on her reviews. :p [/quote]

Who is it? Do you have a link. OMG I hope its not me. :o
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 16th, 2011, 4:26 pm

[quote=""Michy""]There's a reviewer I've come across several times at Amazon that has me scratching my head at how "Vine Voice" status is awarded. Her reviews are generally so inane that I can't figure out how she managed to become a Vine Voice, unless her mom and BFFs stuff the ballot box with positive votes on her reviews. :p [/quote]

I have seen some Vine reviewers that leave me scratching my head as well as to how they are chosen. I think it's pretty hard to stuff the ballot box these days though. The general opinion is that after you vote for someone five times you're a fan voter and they don't count towards ranking anymore.

Speaking of which, I have come across some reviewers who go out searching for new voters by dropping by and leaving a comment so's you know they've been by and voted with the expectation that you'll drop by and give them some votes as well. I've just picked up another of those and doing my best to just stay away from it all.

Return to “Chat”