Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon Antics

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat May 7th, 2011, 12:47 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Forgive my ignorance here, but :o ..... it's baffling to me why people get so uptight and ugly about reviewer rankings. It's not like there's money involved. Or, wait, maybe there is money involved, since nothing else can bring out people's ugly side like $$$$$$$. Is there some reward -- besides getting free stuff from Amazon -- for being a top reviewer?[/quote]

Some people take it very very seriously, especially in the higher echelons, and a lot of the highly ranked reviewers get offers for free stuff to review. It's always been fun for me to gain a higher ranking, just because I review in such a small genre and have so many of the fan voters we're discussing - I rarely get positive votes in numbers that help higher ranking, so I doubt I'll ever reach those heights and really don't care to. I can't believe some people take any one review seriously because it's from a *Top Reviewer*. Geez, that would include Harriet :mad:

What I love most about reviewing on Amazon is the occasional comment here and there thanking me for doing it, both the good and the bad. One gal had been following what I was reading for quite some time before she finally screwed up the courage to comment. I promptly invited her over to Goodreads and she's having the time of her life and has made many new friends.

It's fun to get some of the stuff offered on Vine, but I rarely get offered any of the higher priced electronic stuff I've seen others mention. Between that and the occasional win at Librarything that is more than enough free books for me, most of which I could ultimately get from the library. Once I did put an email on my profile page at the urging of some Amazon friends and it didn't stay up long. I was getting too many offers from self-pubbed authors on books I had no interest in.

I just mislike the negative vote campaign as they are mean. There was a heavy campaign like that going on for a good couple of years (both myself and some friends were *victims*) and it really is maddening to post a review and come back later (sometimes within minutes) and find yourself gob-smacked with negative votes, it feels like stalking.

Divia, votes on lists and images do not affect your reviewer ranking, at least that's what Amazon told me. It does seem to affect your approval rating, say 87% helpful on your profile page.

Annis, it really surprises me people would do that I swear it must take longer to find someone else's review and then all that thinking involved trying to switch the words around. Why?

As for the Amos mentioned above, he's made a couple of very nasty reappearances at the original Amazon thread. I believe now every comment he's ever made at Amazon has been deleted.

I do have some reviewers I follow who generally follow along the same thoughts as I do with a book and I really have to avoid those reviews while I'm in the midst of a book or ready to write a review, so I don't end up saying what they just said :p

I recall one obscure Dumas book (Georges) I'd just finished. I think I diddled around a good hour or two trying to write a review on it, but always ended up saying what the one lone reviewer had already said and quite nicely. I gave up on my own review and left a comment thanking him for doing it so well.

Sorry I've carried on so long here... :o
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat May 7th, 2011, 2:38 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]
What I love most about reviewing on Amazon is the occasional comment here and there thanking me for doing it, both the good and the bad. [/quote] I don't get many comments on my reviews, but I wish I did because they are fun to read and respond to -- even the negative ones (I haven't had many of those, thank goodness). The man who commented the other day left very positive comments on several of my reviews all at once -- it did make me feel good :) (although at first I was suspicious that it was all some sort of game). I had no idea anyone was even "following" me.
but I rarely get offered any of the higher priced electronic stuff I've seen others mention.
Ahhh, I suspect this is what causes people to get so worked up about it. People do take their electronic toys very seriously, and probably some turn around and sell them for $$.
I just mislike the negative vote campaign as they are mean. There was a heavy campaign like that going on for a good couple of years (both myself and some friends were *victims*) and it really is maddening to post a review and come back later (sometimes within minutes) and find yourself gob-smacked with negative votes, it feels like stalking.
I have to come back to my oft-used comment, that some people just have too much time on their hands. ;) I just can't take it all so seriously, but that's just how I'm wired, I guess - I tend to respond that way to a lot of things. ;) I'm probably in a minority, but for me posting reviews on Amazon is just a small venue for self-expression. I really enjoy doing it, and if someone reads my reviews and votes and/or comments on them, so much the better. It would be nice to achieve a ranking high enough to win some free books (if I had some choice in the books, that is), but on the other hand, I've already got enough books (and other stuff) to fill all my free time. :)

Sorry I've carried on so long here... :o
It's been interesting -- thanks for insight into a "world" I hardly knew existed. ;)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat May 7th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Also when I was an earlier viner there were rumors going around if your ratings dropped then you would be kicked off of vine. So far that is not true, but I'm sure that made a lot of people start to give negs to others so they could boot them out of the program...or hope to boot them out of the program. Its sad really. And recently there is a bunch of new vine memebers and some of the older ones got upset.

Like Misfit I don't get any of the cool gadgets. It does seem to be the same ppl who do get those. don't ge me wrong I'd like a tv or something thrown my way. :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat May 7th, 2011, 4:37 pm

don't ge me wrong I'd like a tv or something thrown my way.
I wouldn't mind that either :)

It looks like at least one treadmill was given out via vine recently, but that's the kind of stuff I've never seen on my targeted newsletter. I did notice some changes in what I was offered after I bought a vacuum cleaner, I saw more than books coming my way. Recently had to buy a high end laser printer for the office and ran the purchase through my personal account (with the company card of course), just to see if that made a difference. Time will tell, but I do think purchases are tied into what your Vine newsletter offers you somehow.
I don't get many comments on my reviews, but I wish I did because they are fun to read and respond to -- even the negative ones (I haven't had many of those, thank goodness). The man who commented the other day left very positive comments on several of my reviews all at once -- it did make me feel good (although at first I was suspicious that it was all some sort of game). I had no idea anyone was even "following" me
I love those comments that come out of the blue, but I usually ignore the seriously snarky ones. You end up engaging in an argument you'll never win. Amazon says I have 67 fans, but I have no idea who they might be outside of Divia ;)

Back to reviews and ranking, I never take a reviewer's rank into consideration when looking at product opinions - I'm more concerned with the review itself. There are too many on the site only reviewing stuff they got from the publisher and only giving gushy reviews, some very highly ranked and some very lowly ranked. I'd rather see reviews from Michy, Divia, Telynor (to name just three), even if we disagree. There are times when one's personal experiences/knowledge of things can affect one's perception of a book and we have to respect it.

DebB
Scribbler

Post by DebB » Sat May 7th, 2011, 7:18 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Amazon says I have 67 fans, but I have no idea who they might be....[/quote]

Hey -- I'm a fan -- though I don't know if I'm officially counted as one. :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat May 7th, 2011, 7:20 pm

[quote=""DebB""]Hey -- I'm a fan -- though I don't know if I'm officially counted as one. :) [/quote]

Another one comes out of the closet ;)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat May 7th, 2011, 9:33 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]
I love those comments that come out of the blue, but I usually ignore the seriously snarky ones. You end up engaging in an argument you'll never win. [/quote] Thank goodness I have really only had one snarky comment, because it did make my adrenalin shoot up; I snarked back (yes, I took the low road ;) ) and luckily that was the end of it. I have been involved in some back-and-forth comments that turned into really good discussions, such as one with an author whose book I criticized, one with with a Dorothy Dunnett lover who responded to my review of Game of Kings, and one with a reviewer who (I felt) unjustly slammed a book just because they bought it not knowing it was a genre they didn't like. On that last one, that reviewer as well as one or two others ended up thanking me for the info I shared. So there are some civilized and interesting discussions on Amazon. :) I stay totally away from the "communities", though; they seem to me to be mostly pointless arguing and snarking.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat May 7th, 2011, 10:15 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Thank goodness I have really only had one snarky comment, because it did make my adrenalin shoot up; I snarked back (yes, I took the low road ;) ) and luckily that was the end of it. I have been involved in some back-and-forth comments that turned into really good discussions, such as one with an author whose book I criticized, one with with a Dorothy Dunnett lover who responded to my review of Game of Kings, and one with a reviewer who (I felt) unjustly slammed a book just because they bought it not knowing it was a genre they didn't like. On that last one, that reviewer as well as one or two others ended up thanking me for the info I shared. So there are some civilized and interesting discussions on Amazon. :) I stay totally away from the "communities", though; they seem to me to be mostly pointless arguing and snarking.[/quote]

The communities can be lively entertainment, but I try to just watch. The Top Reviewers always goes seriously OT. The HF one is just inundated with spamming authors at the moment. You probably don't even want to wander into the Amazon Oddities one :eek:

I've felt it best to avoid snarks, or sometimes call out the troops for a little second hand support for the really nasty ones (see Barb's one star review of Tears of Pearl). Lol, I loved the nasty I got at my review for George's book on Mary Queen of Scots. I think it was something to the effect that why didn't I give Mary 3.5 stars as well if I thought her so boring. Oh well.

ETA: When Amazon introduced the new rankings in '08 they really washed a lot of the older campaign votes away. Lol, there were some comments amongst my friends and I at one of those reviews that had been hit rather hard. Some poor soul comes along and see our comments and no negative votes and thought we were rather rude about people being able to vote as they wished.
Last edited by Misfit on Sat May 7th, 2011, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun May 8th, 2011, 12:13 am

Ok, I'm completely dense. How do you "follow" someone's reviews on amazon? Perhaps I don't use amazon to it's full potential, so please, enlighten me!
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 8th, 2011, 12:52 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Ok, I'm completely dense. How do you "follow" someone's reviews on amazon? Perhaps I don't use amazon to it's full potential, so please, enlighten me![/quote]

No, there's no following. One becomes a *fan* after voting for any one person's reviews so many times. How many times is a big dark Amazon secret, but the general guess is around five. After that is passed one becomes a *fan*.

I know it sounds silly so the likes of us, but apparently there's been all kinds of vote cheating gone on in the past to gain ranking and Amazon puts stuff like this in place to counter act it.

PS, I've seen it very rarely, but if you ever come across a reviewer with a rank of "0", that is Amazon's version of the Scarlett Letter. Whatever they did, it was bad indeed.

The place is just a big soap opera. But it is entertaining :D

Return to “Chat”