Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anything else but reading??

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun October 19th, 2008, 3:00 am

I'll try and give a book two chances, but on the second try, if I can't get past sixty or so pages before I get distracted, then it's onto the discard heap, and I try hard to finish books that I start. There's been a few books that have hit that pile despite my best efforts -- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold was one, despite all of the rave reviews, as the opening chapters were just too close for comfort.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun October 19th, 2008, 3:09 am

Guess you won't be seeing the movie version of "Lovely Bones" then Becky?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun October 19th, 2008, 4:10 am

I didn't even try to read Lovely Bones; the premise of the book bothered me way too much. I used to work with victims of crime and its very hard for me to read books like this (but I don't mind psychological thrillers like books by Ruth Rendel, so go figure).

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Post by eclecticreader10 » Sun October 19th, 2008, 4:10 am

[quote=""Divia""]Lifes too short. I dont read bad books :) [/quote]

Amen! Or drink bad wine.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Fri October 14th, 2011, 12:38 am

Bumping an old thread up. :)

I am getting better at not finishing bad books but in general I do finish them. I wish I knew why.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri October 14th, 2011, 4:07 am

I am getting better at not finishing bad books but in general I do finish them. I wish I knew why.
In my case, it's hope springing eternal in spite of previous experience. I keep thinking things might perk up with the next chapter. Actually, I've read quite a few novels where I didn't really get interested until a quarter or even half the way through the book, so sometimes it's worth it to keep reading. If the book is really bad, though, I don't waste time on it beyond the first chapter or two, or even the first few pages. Novels from a reputable publisher are rarely that bad.

And sometimes, a novel may be poorly written in many respects, even eye-rollingly so, but still generate enough suspense for me to want to know what happens next (even if I know it's going to make me roll my eyes).
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine & "A Noel Killing" by M L Longworth
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 14th, 2011, 4:39 pm

I've realised that if it hasn't picked up by halfway, then it's not going to, and I'm past caring if the last 30 pages suddenly turn out to be brilliant - as happened with one of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronices, Merrick I think - sorry, by halfway I've got past caring.

I've ditched 3 books so far this year - two at the halfway stage, one after 130 pages.
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine & "A Noel Killing" by M L Longworth

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri October 14th, 2011, 6:31 pm

[quote=""EC2""] If I start reading cookery books it's a danger sign![/quote]

I go through phases of reading cookery books and it's usually a sign that I am very very tired. I think it's more a case of looking at the pictures rather than reading the recipes.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun October 16th, 2011, 4:14 am

It depends. I put aside 'The Distant Hours' because I wasn't feeling well with a tummy bug and couldn't get into it but I do intend giving it another go--But if I still find it rather plodding, I will bin it. I simply don't have the patience to read a boring book. :rolleyes:

I do give authors another chance, for instance I do intend buying another Kate Morton in that perhaps TDH was not her best work.

Bec :)

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sun October 16th, 2011, 7:17 pm

I usually try to finish a book. It has to be really bad for me not to finish.

Return to “General Discussion”