Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anything else but reading??

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
chuck
Bibliophile

this book is not doing anything for me...

Post by chuck » Fri October 17th, 2008, 6:24 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I'm the same way, but if I"m really not into it, I do tend to get up and down and do other things. So then it just takes me longer to read it. :( [/quote]

Yes I have tried to stop for a while and try later...I have even went back to old reviews about the book...maybe a new perspective?....I have read a couple of chapters ahead to see if something new grabs me...finally I give up and move on.....

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 17th, 2008, 6:42 pm

I have even went back to old reviews about the book...maybe a new perspective?....
I'll do that too, go back to reviews for some back up on my opinion.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 17th, 2008, 7:26 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]Do any of you find that when you're reading a book you don't really like but are determined to finish that you tend to find anything else to do other than sit down and read? I'm reading Jewel of Medina and am NOT liking it at all but I don't want to start another book before I finish this. A late night kitchen cleaning session is looking preferable to sitting down to this book right about now!! Or maybe I'll just do somemore internet surfing!!! :rolleyes: [/quote]

LOL! Absolutely! I've mentioned I receive Goodfood cookery magazine every month. On occasion I will start reading back issues rather than the book I'm supposed to be reading. I nearly succumbed a couple of time while reading Secret History of the Pink Carnation when the banter between the hero and heroine was just kind of marching on the spot for 10 pages. Then slapped self upside the head, skipped the bits that were slowing me down and got motoring again. But yes. If I start reading cookery books it's a danger sign!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri October 17th, 2008, 8:57 pm

My danger sign is when I find myself listening to the conversations around me on the train. I know that I am not engaged in the book then!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Fri October 17th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Oooh, I hate it when a book starts dragging! I usually skim read if other parts of the book were promissing to see if it picks up. But if I have to drag myself almost from the start, I usually give up. In one book I tried to read, I ended up skipping ahead to read the final chapter and found what wasn't good to start with, wasn't good in the end either! I have to agree, there are so many GOOD books out there, why waste you time with the bad ones!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri October 17th, 2008, 9:35 pm

But I've only got 100 pages to go.... I can't give up now. LOL. My attention is definitely wandering at the moment.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sat October 18th, 2008, 12:30 am

I have an annoying tendency to just keep plodding along with books I'm not really into. For some bizarre reason I just think of all the time the author spent writing it and their effort deserves me to complete it. :o It's especially painful if it's a long book ...

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat October 18th, 2008, 3:12 am

[quote=""Spitfire""]Oooh, I hate it when a book starts dragging! I usually skim read if other parts of the book were promissing to see if it picks up. But if I have to drag myself almost from the start, I usually give up. In one book I tried to read, I ended up skipping ahead to read the final chapter and found what wasn't good to start with, wasn't good in the end either! I have to agree, there are so many GOOD books out there, why waste you time with the bad ones![/quote]

I've done this recently. I tend to skip chapters, but then I'm like whats the point of reading the book if I'm skipping chapters? Kinda feels like a waste so I typically can the book.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 18th, 2008, 4:51 am

For years I always felt duty-bound to finish a book I started and used to persist with books which didn't quite grab me, but lately I've come to the conclusion that actually, I don't have to! If something hasn't got me by a third of the way through, I'll liberate myself from the tedium of struggling on and swap it for something else. If I think the problem is my mindset and not the book, I'll give it another go at a later stage.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat October 18th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Yeah like Misfit and Annis said sometimes its just a bookslump. And I will try to read it later. Though, I have found that it tends to get pushed back into the pile because new books have grabbed my attention.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Discussion”