Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Retha Warnicke

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Retha Warnicke

Post by Rowan » Thu October 16th, 2008, 2:49 pm

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Dr Warnicke. I happened to come across her Wikipedia entry while doing research about Mary, Queen of Scots and noticed that she is considered an expert on politics and protocol in the Tudor Court, Gender Issues in the Early Modern Period (1400-1700) and Jacobean Funeral Rites for Women. I decided to ask if anyone here has heard of Dr Warnicke because of the last paragraph in the Wikipedia entry:

"Her [famous and controversial] theories [of the life of Anne Boleyn] were severely distorted in Philippa Gregory's novel The Other Boleyn Girl. Gregory's author's note claimed that her novel's conclusion was based upon Warnicke's findings in The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn, but Warnicke has publicly distanced herself from the novel and its presentation of the Boleyns."

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu October 16th, 2008, 3:22 pm

I've heard of her work but haven't read anything of hers.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu October 16th, 2008, 7:38 pm

I hadn't heard of her before.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu October 16th, 2008, 8:03 pm

She's written a great deal about the Tudors, and I think Gregory's presentations of Anne's having borne a deformed fetus and of George Boleyn's homosexuality do owe a lot to Warnicke's Anne Boleyn book. I've dipped into the Anne Boleyn bookbut never read it straight through. It in itself is quite controversial.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu October 16th, 2008, 8:32 pm

I've read Warnicke's book. I actually used it as research for my first unpublished novel, which I wrote 13 years ago, about - yes, you guessed it! -Anne Boleyn.

She's right. TOBG does distort what she presents. While she does argue that George might have been gay and Anne could have miscarried a fetus that was considered "deformed" in the 16th century viewpoint (they wouldn't have known of the lack of genital differentiation at an early stage in pregnancy, etc), none of her arguments support the incest rumor. In fact, she makes considerable effort to disprove the lurid rumors surrounding Anne's downfall to present a far more unbiased and realistic look at the woman she might have been, and the reasons Cromwell went to such lengths - with the king's approval - to destroy her.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

siouxzee
Scribbler

Post by siouxzee » Wed August 12th, 2009, 5:08 am

I have heard of her and was under the impression she is well respected in her field - but that may just because she teaches at my university (Arizona State University).
I have two of her books, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet... I need to get on that!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri August 14th, 2009, 2:06 pm

I've read her book on Anne Boleyn, but not the one on Anne of Cleves. I found some of her ideas interesting, but some of it way off base. Having Mary Boleyn be younger than Anne just doesn't make any sense once you look at the overall life, especially when it comes to figuring out who Henry was messing around with. With the exception of Catherine Howard, Henry seems to have preferred mature, adult women for his partners, not a very young, barely pubescent teenager. But that's just me...

Melisende
Reader

Post by Melisende » Sat August 15th, 2009, 10:44 am

Read her Anne Bolyen book a few years ago, when stuck for something to read - and enjoyed it.
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

Return to “Historical Nonfiction/Biography”