Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

the Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis

LCW
Compulsive Reader

the Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis

Postby LCW » Tue August 26th, 2008, 5:22 pm

As the daughter of the Duke of Calbria and granddaughter of the King of Naples, Sancha of Aragon is expected to make a marriage that will advance her family and the Kingdom of Naples. The House of Aragon desperately wants to make a match with the powerful Borgia family of Rome headed by Pope Alexander. They finally get their chance by marrying Sancha off to Jofre, the Pope's youngest son.

Sancha knows the horrible reputation of the Borgia's and she does all she can to avoid having to live in Rome with her new husband's terrifying family. Inevitabley though, she can resist no longer and she and Joffre are summoned by the Pope back to Rome. In Rome she is swept off her feet by Jofre's brother, Ceasar Borgia, the Cardinal of Valencia. Theirs is a passionate affair but one she must keep secret if she is to survive in the perilous world of the Borgia's. As her affair with Ceasar continues, she learns more and more about just how depraved and dangerous the Borgia's really are. Sancha is eventually faced with the choice of becoming like them to survive or she can choose to rebel and put herself and her family in grave danger.

This novel was exciting, fast paced, and extremely decadent. The author did a great job creating complex characters and some of them were truly frightening. I particularly loved how the author depicted Sancha's friendship with Lucrezia. At first I couldn't tell if the author was "pro" Lucrezia or not...then I realized the author is actually allowing the reader to make up their own minds! Imagine that!!

I highly recommend this fascinating story. It has it all, love, betrayal, secrets, it can be heartwrenchingly touching and then shift to downright nasty at times. This one is a keeper for sure! 4.5/5 stars

Kailana
Reader

Postby Kailana » Wed August 27th, 2008, 3:26 am

This is the only book I have ever read by her! I really should read another. She has a new book out next year... I forget what it is about at the moment, though.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Wed August 27th, 2008, 4:00 am

Its about Catherine de Medici, and I just read on her blog that the title is "The Devil's Queen". Due for release anywhere between April-August, depending on publishing schedules.

Kailana
Reader

Postby Kailana » Wed August 27th, 2008, 5:03 am

Yeah, those who! I was thinking it was that, but I have read a lot of books with her in it over the last couple years, so I wasn't sure if I was correct.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I really loved this book when I read it a while ago.

Ellie
Reader

Postby Ellie » Sat October 25th, 2008, 2:20 am

I've read this book twice and liked it even more the second time around. Although there are incest scenes, do maybe not for the faint of heart.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sat October 25th, 2008, 2:35 am

I loved this book, too. I enjoyed her book "The Burning Times" too, set in medieval France, and I liked "I, Mona Lisa" as well. I think I reviewed it for HNR, come to think of it. If I find the review, I'll post it here.

She and I are on the same panel "Historical Friction: Characters in Conflict" at San Jose's BookGroup Expo tomorrow; it's a strange coincidence that we both have books on Catherine de Medici coming out in 2009. I've never met her in person, so it should be fun.

Fortunately, from what I've read about her Catherine book, it also appears that we approach Madame de Medici from different angles.
Last edited by cw gortner on Sat October 25th, 2008, 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Ellie
Reader

Postby Ellie » Sat October 25th, 2008, 3:23 am

OT but CW I just put a hold on The Last Queen in my library, Its still on order so it may take a while.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sat October 25th, 2008, 4:11 am

Hope they get it in soon, and I hope you like it when you read it.

Just by coincidence, after I was reading an amazon thread posted by Misfit where an author is going after his reviewers, I looked at my amazon ranking (it's an obsession, I know, and I need medication ;) I saw that the bare-bones listing for The Last Queen trade paperback is up already - with a pub date of May 9, 2009.

My publisher had said July. Good thing I checked.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!

THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”