Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? December 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Mon December 23rd, 2013, 9:05 am

Snuff by Terry Pratchett
This is fun :)
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon December 23rd, 2013, 2:55 pm

Settled on Fires of Alexandria an alt-history set in 1C Alexandria featuring the famous inventor Heron. Fun read. I'll be continuing the series.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon December 23rd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Have dumped Bring up the Bodies, for now anyway. In order to avoid confusion 'He' has now become 'He Cromwell' and it has driven me nuts. I think there's more than a dash of the Emperor's New Clothes here, but I will save it for another time when I am more prepared to concentrate. At the moment I'm in the reading blah's and thus sorting through my cookbooks and turning to research reading for a bit.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon December 23rd, 2013, 3:29 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]Hi! Where did you find this novel? I've just finished Sharon Penman's Welsh trilogy....shed a little tear when I finished....and am looking for more novels on this era. :) [/quote]

Another thought for you - but be warned that if you are a die-hard stickler for sticking to known facts, it won't be a good fit. Child of the Phoenix by Barbara Erskine. I almost tossed it against the wall, I hated the way Llewllyn and Joanna were being portrayed, but then I told myself it was fiction and Erskine wasn't trying to promote is as a straight historical novel (at least what I can recall of the author's notes), and just kicked back and enjoyed the story. It was a pretty wild ride.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon December 23rd, 2013, 4:13 pm

At the moment, catching up on some fantasy books in my TBR. Finished Bujold's Curse of Chalion over the weekend and have started The Paladin of Souls. So far, this series reminds me of Carol Berg's fantasies (which is good, because I love her books).

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 23rd, 2013, 5:01 pm

Loved that Chalion trilogy. I also enjoyed Bujold's Sharing Knife series.

Re the Welsh thing- Pargeter's Heaven Tree trilogy is excellent and not as heavy going as the Brothers of Gwynedd quartet. Though have to say that Penman's Welsh Princes trilogy was treading on Pargeter's heels rather than the other way round :)

Currently reading Eleanor Catton's Luminaries which I'm finding very absorbing. It's not a light read, though, and it takes a page or three to get into the Victorian sensibility. Plus there are a lot of characters, so you have to keep your wits about you.
Last edited by annis on Mon December 23rd, 2013, 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon December 23rd, 2013, 5:30 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]At the moment, catching up on some fantasy books in my TBR. Finished Bujold's Curse of Chalion over the weekend and have started The Paladin of Souls. So far, this series reminds me of Carol Berg's fantasies (which is good, because I love her books).[/quote]

I've read and own Berg's "Collegica Magica" trilogy. I bought them all in mass paperback format.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Thu December 26th, 2013, 7:04 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Another thought for you - but be warned that if you are a die-hard stickler for sticking to known facts, it won't be a good fit. Child of the Phoenix by Barbara Erskine. I almost tossed it against the wall, I hated the way Llewllyn and Joanna were being portrayed, but then I told myself it was fiction and Erskine wasn't trying to promote is as a straight historical novel (at least what I can recall of the author's notes), and just kicked back and enjoyed the story. It was a pretty wild ride.[/quote]
Thank you for the tip! I will download a preview and see how it goes! Merry Christmas to you! :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 28th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Finished off Claudine's Daughter by Rosalind Laker, second in a trilogy starting with Warwyck's Woman. They're OK, but not worth racing out to buy copies. Going to work on Desert Dreams by Deborah Cox, an old 1995 Harper that I picked up on the freebies recently. Texas, Mexico setting, hidden treasure of gold. Pretty good so far.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 28th, 2013, 4:35 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]Thank you for the tip! I will download a preview and see how it goes! Merry Christmas to you! :) [/quote]

I missed this comment, sorry. A bit late for Merry Christmas, but Happy New Year. I hope the book works for you, it is quite a ride. I seem to recall an old ghost once things move to Scotland ;)

Return to “General Discussion”