Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Circle of Ceridwen (Trilogy) Octavia Randolph

499BC
Scribbler

Circle of Ceridwen (Trilogy) Octavia Randolph

Post by 499BC » Tue October 29th, 2013, 9:08 am

Must admit I wasn't impressed by the cover but thought I'd give it a go and downloaded the sample. Started to read it and was quickly drawn into the time and space (I do like stories that include well-described landscapes).
I have not read many books that are set in this age and it certainly was a very scary time for the Saxons in England. The violence, fear and misery surrounding the invading Danes is well described - I for one would not have liked to be around at that time.
I liked the believable portrayals of the main characters, not all 100% good or bad, although the Danes sometimes seem emotionally cut off (but perhaps they had to be). The writing style has a lightness of touch and yet conveys the backdrops and the characters feelings really well.
The worst thing was that the book ended too soon. Luckily its part of a trilogy.
For anyone who has an interest in this era it's a really good read.
I wanted to give it 4.5 really.

I have also read the following books: Ceridwen of Kilton and The Claiming. Both are as good as the first.

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”