Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

For Aussies and Kiwis...Holiday Music

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

For Aussies and Kiwis...Holiday Music

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue October 14th, 2008, 2:19 am

Ok, so we all know it'll hardly ever be a "White Christmas" in Australia or New Zealand, but for those of you who live there, do you play the "traditional" Christmas music or not?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue October 14th, 2008, 2:27 am

Generally we do, although we do have some of our own songs. The most famous is Six White Boomers that was sung by Rolf Harris

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSsffF2xhA

There are a few others around as well.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Tue October 14th, 2008, 4:23 am

I still find it strange hearing carols about snow and such in the heat here!

Hubby says that the only thing he misses from England is the dark nights shopping and the Salvation Army band on the Saturday before Christmas playing in the town!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Tue October 14th, 2008, 8:02 am

It does somewhat lose its Christmasy feel when it's 38° outside, although for some odd reason it's been cool on Christmas Day the last few years. I don't remember the last really hot Christmas Day but I do remember the second one I had when we lived in England - barely above 0° all day, snow everywhere and several parts of my family were late because a lot of the roads were closed off.

In spite of the heat Christmas at our house is the same as it would be in England. At lunch we have roast chicken, turkey, goose (sometimes pork) and ham off the bone as well as roast vegetables like peas, carrots, potato and so forth. It's bloody excellent. Lunch is my favourite part of Christmas!

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Tue October 14th, 2008, 9:13 am

[quote=""Alaric""]It does somewhat lose its Christmasy feel when it's 38° outside, although for some odd reason it's been cool on Christmas Day the last few years. I don't remember the last really hot Christmas Day but I do remember the second one I had when we lived in England - barely above 0° all day, snow everywhere and several parts of my family were late because a lot of the roads were closed off.

In spite of the heat Christmas at our house is the same as it would be in England. At lunch we have roast chicken, turkey, goose (sometimes pork) and ham off the bone as well as roast vegetables like peas, carrots, potato and so forth. It's bloody excellent. Lunch is my favourite part of Christmas![/quote]

We dont have hot roast, we roast the day before then have hot roast spuds and either hot veggies or salad. However, we used to roast the meat the the day before in England to save hassel on the big day!

Our thing is Christmas Puds! Last year mum and I made our own! We had tried different shop ones but in the end we found a recipe and tweaked it to our own tastes and made some wicked puds!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue October 14th, 2008, 9:22 am

[quote=""pat""]I still find it strange hearing carols about snow and such in the heat here!

Hubby says that the only thing he misses from England is the dark nights shopping and the Salvation Army band on the Saturday before Christmas playing in the town![/quote]

If you really want to hear a Salvation Army band I can give you a few tips on where to find them! I know that the church at Ingle Farm used to go carolling around the streets in the area, and there is another church at Tea Tree Gully that probably has a band.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Tue October 14th, 2008, 9:35 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]If you really want to hear a Salvation Army band I can give you a few tips on where to find them! I know that the church at Ingle Farm used to go carolling around the streets in the area, and there is another church at Tea Tree Gully that probably has a band.[/quote]

Someone else said there are some around, but I think we might look daft all rugged up as per tradition!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue October 14th, 2008, 9:43 am

You might at that, but the offer is there. I know more than one Salvation Army bandsman!

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Wed October 15th, 2008, 1:43 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]You might at that, but the offer is there. I know more than one Salvation Army bandsman![/quote]

Oh yes????? :D

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed October 15th, 2008, 2:15 am

You know about men in uniform right? ;) :D

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”