Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? October 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat October 12th, 2013, 12:22 pm

[quote=""LCW""]I got it from the Vine Newsletter in June or July. I can't remember exactly but I reviewed it in July. It was definitely the last book in the series.[/quote]

OK, that makes sense, sorry!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Sat October 12th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Just finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. After a slow start I ended up liking it. I always end up liking a book where I haven't figured out all the final revelations, as long as they make sense. Now on to Frederick Forsyth's The Kill List. Excited to have a new Forsyth out!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 12th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Almost finished with Molly by Teresa Crane, then I'm starting Mary Stewart's Airs above the Ground for a group read at GR.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Sun October 13th, 2013, 7:57 am

Have a couple on the go at the moment.

With Cornwell's latest " The Pagan Lord " out I'm re-reading the Saxon series.

Having much more fun reading Kim Newman though. His blend of fictional and historical characters are a joy. I've seen his " Anno Dracula " books in horror sections which is a shame as they're not grisly enough for horror fans and HF fans might be put off by the covers so miss out on a great yarn. Moriarty reminds me of GMF's Flashman books in tone.

Cheers K.B

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 13th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Confessions of Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey, the last book of the trilogy.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 13th, 2013, 12:47 pm

[quote=""kodiakblair""]With Cornwell's latest " The Pagan Lord " out I'm re-reading the Saxon series.[/quote]

Your post reminded me that I have to get back to this series. I've only read the first three books.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun October 13th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Finished the non-fiction The Black Count by Tom Reiss. A Pulitzer Prize winner and deserves the honor. My review here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=6406

Started on Amy Tan's Saving Fish from Drowning--a contemporary, but haven't got far. Looking at my Nook for my next HF and have many to choose from. Maybe time to tackle Wolf Hall?
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon October 14th, 2013, 2:25 am

Finished The Plantagenets before we left for vacation and started and finished Webb's The Legacy. Much better than her newest novel except for the ending. I was not satisfied.
Brenna

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon October 14th, 2013, 5:14 am

Thomas Beckett by John Guy (most interesting book, he covers a lot of history)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Mon October 14th, 2013, 6:07 pm

As The Crow Flies by Craig Johnson. From one year to the next I keep forgeting how very good is this series and how bad the tv adaptation...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Return to “General Discussion”