Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu September 26th, 2013, 8:55 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I've got this one on mount tbr, I remember the TV series very well! ;) :) [/quote]

[quote=""MLE""]Loved the TV series. Could not gag down the book. The plots of the two are vaguely similar, but the 'sentimental ambiance' of the book was so Victorian bourgeois-slanted I about threw it at the wall.[/quote]

I just have a lovely vision of Richard Armitage whilst I'm reading it. It's seeming quite political to me at the moment. They all seem to feel sorry for themselves, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu September 26th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Just finished "A Name in Blood" by Matt Rees, an astonishingly moving, inventive and beautifully written novel about Caravaggio. So sad.

Have just picked "Royal Marriage Secrets" by John Ashdown-Hill, which should be a pleasant, undemanding non-fiction read.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 26th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Posted by SPB
Just finished "A Name in Blood" by Matt Rees, an astonishingly moving, inventive and beautifully written novel about Caravaggio. So sad.
I loved this novel! It was a wonderful pyschological study of a tormented genius and really brought post-Renaissance/early Baroque Italy to life. I dragged out heaps of books about Caravaggio from the library and was fascinated by just how much influence his work (sadly dismissed until the 20th century) has had, when you understand it, on modern film and photography. Reading ANIB also made it clear to me just how much Caravaggio's stunning, controversial and revolutionary work was a perfect expression of the Counter-Reformation.
Last edited by annis on Thu September 26th, 2013, 8:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu September 26th, 2013, 8:59 pm

[quote=""annis""]I loved this novel! It was a wonderful pyschological study of a tormented genius and really brought post-Renaissance/early Baroque Italy to life. [/quote]

Oh, I'm so glad you loved it too. I'd never heard anyone else even mention it. It totally surprised me.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu September 26th, 2013, 10:47 pm

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (J.K Rowling)...my hold came through from eLibraryNJ earlier than I thought.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 27th, 2013, 2:25 am

Posted by SPB
Oh, I'm so glad you loved it too (Matt Rees' A Name in Blood). I'd never heard anyone else even mention it. It totally surprised me.
I also enjoyed Rupert Thomson's Secrecy set in 17th-century Florence. Interesting times, with an end-of-an-era, end-of-the-world feeling as plague, earthquakes etc leave people in a very fatalistic frame of mind, rather like A Name in Blood. You could see Caravaggio, for example, as suffering from life-long survivor's guilt after the death of family members in the plague and a nihilism expressed by the motto, "No hope, no fear". Caravaggio really is a contradiction - on one hand he's saying we already have hell on earth so do whatever you like in this life, on the other his work is a pure expression of his yearning for divine salvation.

Although fascinating, Secrecy is a bit more literary than ANIB and has a rather more intellectual, distanced feel about it. ANIB spoke to me more.
Last edited by annis on Fri September 27th, 2013, 4:47 am, edited 8 times in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun September 29th, 2013, 4:38 am

A couple cozy mysteries. I needed some short beach reading. And later... book one of the Night Angel trilogy.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun September 29th, 2013, 7:20 am

Search The Dark by Charles Todd
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 29th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Mortal Arts by Anna Lee Huber.