Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed September 4th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Reading a non-fiction Daily Life in Biblical Times by Liora Ravid--a bit different from what I thought it would be.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed September 4th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Finished Cashelmara and now onto Wheel of Fortune. Howatch has me officially hooked-darn it!
Brenna

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed September 4th, 2013, 6:41 pm

The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan
Mysteries & Lore of Western Maryland by Susan Fair (NF)

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Wed September 4th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders by Gyles Brandreth
Good characterization, many historical figures, but I'm not sure I like this "Sherlock Wilde"
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu September 5th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Not bad so far although I keep comparing it to that wonderful French movie The Intouchables.
— Frank Zappa

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 6th, 2013, 10:11 am

[quote=""emr""]Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders by Gyles Brandreth
Good characterization, many historical figures, but I'm not sure I like this "Sherlock Wilde"[/quote]

I have this series on my tbr piles.

Just started "City of Bones" by Cassandra Clare, the first in the Mortal Instruments series.
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri September 6th, 2013, 10:45 am

I've just started Coastliners by Joanne Harris.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri September 6th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Finished Holland's The High City last night and am getting ready to start Linda Lafferty's The Drowning Guard.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 7th, 2013, 11:29 pm

Posted by emr
Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders by Gyles Brandreth
I've read all these and enjoyed them, The latest, The Vatican Murders was particularly apposite, coming as it did at the time of a papal election :) They are excellent on the significant players of late Victorian society - a couple even feature the Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, his rather dodgy entertainments and his acrimonious relationship with his mother Queen Victoria . Whether you enjoy the series or not will depend largely on how appealing you find the character of Oscar himself, I think.

Having finished all of Harry Sidebottom's Warrior of Rome novels written to date I was at a loose end, so downloaded and read The Hidden Treasure of Glaston for a change of pace. An affecting story for older children set at Glastonbury Abbey during the reign of Henry II and the discovery of the bodies of Arthur and Guinevere. (Diana Norman/Ariana Franklin covered this event in a couple of her stories). Interesting how styles change, though - I find it hard to imagine The Hidden Treasure of Glaston appealing to modern YA readers - it uses a bit of archaic language and is probably too sentimental for today's tastes.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun September 8th, 2013, 7:16 am

[quote=""annis""]
I've read all these and enjoyed them, The latest, The Vatican Murders was particularly apposite, coming as it did at the time of a papal election :) They are excellent on the significant players of late Victorian society - a couple even feature the Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, his rather dodgy entertainments and his acrimonious relationship with his mother Queen Victoria . Whether you enjoy the series or not will depend largely on how appealing you find the character of Oscar himself, I think.
[/quote]

I did like Oscar. He sounded accurate to me rattling witticisms all the time. And I liked his interactioon with other historical people. But I'm not sure he would have gone around making inquires like a wannabe Sherlock even if he admired the character. I'd have liked this series a lot better as a tale of his last years without foccusing so much on bizarre mysteries. I think.

Spent half a box of kleenex with Jojo Moyes and her euthanasia story. Now I was looking for something funny so I picked The Humans by Matt Haig, the human race seen through the eyes of an alien. So far I'm not laughing. This is soporific.
— Frank Zappa

Return to “General Discussion”