Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Caring about characters.

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri February 27th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Regarding an author's power over their characters... let us not forget that some characters won't behave the way we want them to. I'll be typing along and be totally surprised by what shows up on the computer screen. I anticipate at least one "Did I write that?" moment per book.

Richard
Reader

Post by Richard » Sat February 28th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Yes! That's one of the best things that can happen to an author. That is, literally, the "character driven" plot we're all looking for.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Sat March 14th, 2009, 3:46 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Regarding an author's power over their characters... let us not forget that some characters won't behave the way we want them to. I'll be typing along and be totally surprised by what shows up on the computer screen. I anticipate at least one "Did I write that?" moment per book.[/quote]

So true! My book is written in first person -- so as EC2 wrote, I had to become that character with every word -- and more than once, she was talking with someone or arguing with someone (it happened the most in arguments) then POW! One of characters spouted a line that I did not expect! It became so real that I was a scribe for a conversation in my head.

What that says about my mental state, I don't know, but it's kind of cool. ;)
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Mon March 30th, 2009, 11:23 am

I would say just love your characters. Obviously if you're not enjoying their company, you can't expect that anyone else will, either. But if you have them do and say things that make you laugh and cry and love to be around them--then your readers will want to spend time with them just as much as you do!

Best of luck to you!

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Return to “The Craft of Writing”