Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tyrant by Christian Cameron

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Tyrant by Christian Cameron

Post by parthianbow » Thu August 1st, 2013, 10:46 am

I bought this book when it came out in 2008. It's the story of my life that I buy more books than I can read, and it languished in the 'To Be Read' pile for 4 years. More and more people began to tell me how good an author Cameron was, however, so I tackled it in the summer of 2012. I was astonished by how good it was, and devoured it in 3 or 4 days. To say that it's well written is an understatement of the greatest kind.

Cameron is a reenactor, and has therefore spent many an hour, and day, wearing and using the kit of a Greek soldier of the 4th century BC. He's also spent considerable time learning ancient Greek, and reading all the sources that he can lay his hands on. Boy, does it show. Kineas, the main character, reeks of authenticity. So too do the people he encounters: his friends and enemies, and the world that they all inhabit.

Rarely have I been so transported to another place, another world. I lived with Kineas and his comrades for every moment that I read this book. I could not wait to buy the sequel, and over the last 12 months, I have read three of the four others in the series. It's a benefit of not having read them as they were published, I suppose, but I will be sorry to come to the end of Tyrant: Destroyer of Cities. At least I will have the Long War series to read then, however!

If you haven't read any of Cameron's books, I suggest that you start now. He stands head and shoulders above most authors out there, and is now one of my favourite writers. If I could award this book more than five stars, I would.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 2nd, 2013, 5:31 am

Another Cameron fan here! I read Tyrant when it first came out (review here) and was very taken by it, and although I felt it was just a little rough around the edges, I found it utterly compelling. It was easy to spot a writer with the x-factor at work - Cameron is a true storyteller and I think he goes from strength to strength. His ruthlessness adds a certain dramatic suspense - he's quite happy to kill off his darlings and it can be a bit of a heartbreaker if you've become attached to one of them! Although I love the Tyrant series, I think I actually love the Long War series even more - fantastic stuff. Looking forward to his take on the Hundred Years War, too.

Cameron's a prolific author (a good thing for his fans :) ) and happy to give anything a go, so maybe unsurprising that IMO not all of his novels gel quite as well as others - although I enjoyed them both, I did have rather more mixed feelings about Alexander: God of War and his fantasy, The Red Knight.
Last edited by annis on Sat August 3rd, 2013, 4:45 am, edited 11 times in total.

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”