Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? August 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat August 17th, 2013, 2:21 am

Neil Gaiman's American Gods. First read this years ago, but am enjoying a re-read. Gaiman has expanded the story a bit since his earliest edition, too.

I believe that an HBO series of AG is in the works too, subject to Gaiman's say-so. Hope it's a goer!

JenniferLovesRoxi
Scribbler

Post by JenniferLovesRoxi » Sat August 17th, 2013, 4:33 am

I am nearly finished reading Paths of Exile by Carla Nayland.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat August 17th, 2013, 5:14 am

[quote=""JenniferLovesRoxi""]I am nearly finished reading Paths of Exile by Carla Nayland.[/quote]
I very much enjoyed that one.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat August 17th, 2013, 9:56 am

[quote=""annis""]Neil Gaiman's American Gods. First read this years ago, but am enjoying a re-read. Gaiman has expanded the story a bit since his earliest edition, too.
[/quote]

I loved American Gods. It's on my keeper shelf, and it's one of those novels that rewards you with different layers each time you read it.
Actually all of Neil Gaiman's novels so far are on that shelf. I'm not quite so sure about The Ocean at the End of the Lane, it's a half rerun of Coraline, but I still enjoyed it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun August 18th, 2013, 7:46 am

Posted by EC
I'm not quite so sure about The Ocean at the End of the Lane, it's a half rerun of Coraline, but I still enjoyed it.
I loved Ocean at the End of the Lane, but I know what you mean - in some ways it did seem derivative of a number of Gaiman novels. You never know with Gaiman - he's quite capable of recycling himself as a joke on us and himself. I did think he captured the way a child sees the world brilliantly, including the sense of the otherwordly lurking right behind us, a shadow just at the edge of sight as we venture a quick, nervous look behind, the selective amnesia about things too hard to remember and the way we mythologize our own lives by adding stuff which we're convinced we experienced personally but later discover was something we read, watched or were told and never actually happened to us at all.

Currently reading more fantasy (I'm having a fantasy revival at the moment)- The City of Silk and Steel, an engaging Arabian One Thousand and One Nights-style story about a group of resourceful women who throw away the rule book and decide to live life on their own terms.
Last edited by annis on Sun August 18th, 2013, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun August 18th, 2013, 8:36 am

[quote=""annis""]
Currently reading more fantasy (I'm having a fantasy revival at the moment)- The City of Silk and Steel, an engaging Arabian One Thousand and One Nights-style story about a group of resourceful women who throw away the rule book and decide to live life on their own terms.[/quote]

Is it the same book as The Steel Seraglio? The description is almost the same. And it sounds cool hehe

Ah now I see they are combined at Goodreads

I forgot. Reading Crocodile Tears by Mark O'Sullivan
Last edited by emr on Sun August 18th, 2013, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun August 18th, 2013, 2:14 pm

I've been catching up on my SF/F TBR pile as well. Read the first 12 or so books in Bujold's Vorkosigan series earlier this year. Finally finished the last three in the series this month. Am currently in the middle of KJ Parker's historical fantasy, Sharps.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Sun August 18th, 2013, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun August 18th, 2013, 4:00 pm

In a bit of a funk, reading-wise. Trying to figure out what to read next. I might break down and read Wolf Hall or something completely frivolous.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun August 18th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Posted by emr
Is it the same book as The Steel Seraglio? The description is almost the same. And it sounds cool hehe
I didn't realise this had an alternative title - I wonder if it's one of those annoying different UK/US title things designed to confuse us and make us accidentally buy the same book twice?

Anyway, whatever its title, I'm really enjoying it :)

JenniferLovesRoxi
Scribbler

Post by JenniferLovesRoxi » Sun August 18th, 2013, 7:28 pm

I finished Paths of Exile by Carla Nayland last night (well, actually about 4 o'clock this morning and I LOVED it!!!!) and just started The Cross and the Dragon by Kim Rendfeld.

I have been looking for HF novels about Charlemagne or set during his reign for ages and I finally found one. And this one looks very promising! It received great reviews on every site I visited. Anyone else here read this one?

Return to “General Discussion”