Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? August 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun August 11th, 2013, 4:11 am

[quote=""EC2""]I'd borrowed it from the library too. I'll be interested to know what you think.[/quote]

It's still waiting at the library, but I'll get to it soon. (After a couple books.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun August 11th, 2013, 5:52 am

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park, set in 12th century Korea. This deceptively simple and moving story was written for children 9-13, but can be appreciated by readers of all ages.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sun August 11th, 2013, 4:01 pm

I'm about 60 pages in to The White Lie by Andrea Gillies. Not HF, but I just picked it up at the library out of curiosity.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun August 11th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Finished The End of A Series of Unfortunate Events. Obviously not HF, but a clever and engaging bit of writing. Even the more repetitious first five books were filled with bon mots and cleverly disguised vocabulary lessons. The final eight books develop detailed and increasingly more convoluted moral (and language) themes. If you have young people in your life who haven't read these, give them a recommendation and read along with them. Highly recommended!

Just started Susan Higginbotham's Hugh and Bess.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

JenniferLovesRoxi
Scribbler

Post by JenniferLovesRoxi » Sun August 11th, 2013, 10:28 pm

I started Alcestis by Katharine Beutner last night. It started out slow and I was tempted to begin something different today, but I decided to stick with it a little longer and it has started to pick up and get more interesting.

I was reading FLJustice's post earlier and I guess I am just not very observant, because I noticed that her signature says that she is the author of Selene of Alexandria. I decided to look it up and it sounds wonderful, right up my alley! So I am officially saving up to buy it so I can read it soon!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon August 12th, 2013, 2:25 pm

[quote=""JenniferLovesRoxi""]I was reading FLJustice's post earlier and I guess I am just not very observant, because I noticed that her signature says that she is the author of Selene of Alexandria. I decided to look it up and it sounds wonderful, right up my alley! So I am officially saving up to buy it so I can read it soon![/quote]

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon August 12th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Going to start The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch tonight - can't wait, loved the previous three :)
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon August 12th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Just finished Knight Crusader by Ronald Welch. A little bit dated and some of the history might have been spot on when written, but research has moved on since then. However, I still fully enjoyed the read and he had obviously done his research at the time and read several primary sources. A crusading boys' own tale which easily crosses over into adult fiction and for those who like derring do in the Middle Ages, it serves up an ample helping. 4 stars.

Now reading Crusoe's Daughter by Jane Gardam. She is one of my favourite authors in what I guess I'd call the literary fiction genre. I love her use of language and the way she portrays her characters. She'd be another one I'd like to see tackle The Song of Achilles and put it right!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon August 12th, 2013, 8:55 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Now reading Crusoe's Daughter by Jane Gardam. She is one of my favourite authors in what I guess I'd call the literary fiction genre. I love her use of language and the way she portrays her characters. She'd be another one I'd like to see tackle The Song of Achilles and put it right![/quote]

Not much to add apart from to echo the praise of Jane Gardam - one of the best and sorely overlooked.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Light within Us" by Charlotte Betts
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 13th, 2013, 8:10 am

I've just started "A Treacherous Likeness" by Lynn Shepherd.
Currently reading: "The Light within Us" by Charlotte Betts

Return to “General Discussion”