Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covers with the right person/ time period...

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Covers with the right person/ time period...

Post by Nefret » Mon July 22nd, 2013, 9:04 pm

Since using covers with people/ clothes from the wrong time period is so common, I wondered how many covers were actually period correct.

I know the authors don't get to pick, but we do have fun talking book covers.
Last edited by Nefret on Mon July 22nd, 2013, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DanielAWillis
Reader

I did get to pick

Post by DanielAWillis » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 12:31 am

Because I started as self-published, I got lucky in this regard. I worked very closely with the cover artist of my novels and made sure costume was correct.

I don't how to import a picture here, but they can be seen on my website: www.DanielAWillis.com
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 8:18 am

Sometimes they do get it right, but it's because they've used an overused portrait, such as the one of Anne Boleyn that we see on covers so often.

But I've also seen some covers that have been shot specifically for the book in question, with a model wearing an outfit that has actually been described in the book - the only one I can think of right now is Captive Queen by Alison Weir, but I know I've seen others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 1:13 pm

What a good idea for a thread. There a list at GR called Does this dress make me look anachronistic. I'll hunt down the link later.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 1:20 pm

I think I read on a blog somewhere that this cover was spot on:

In fact, could the woman in the background be the same model as the one on The Captive Queen? It looks like the same dress! One for the Deja vu book covers?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 1:49 pm

Covers and the fact that an author has little/no say about them is one of the many reasons I'm not very interested in finding a traditional publisher. For HF, the solution is easy: find a period-correct portrait or artifact. And then pay a graphic artist who can photoshop really beautifully to arrange the elements, including artwork, title, and author's name, on the cover.

And if I may say it, even if someone up in the big six publishers' art department has declared that headless or back-turned women sell better than full-face covers, I doubt that has been market tested (as in, cover A with model's head gone versus same cover B showing head/face). I suspect that if it were put to a consumer test, it would be weighted towards seeing the face. From infancy, human brains are hard-wired to seek out things that approximate human features.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 2:28 pm

[quote=""MLE""]Covers and the fact that an author has little/no say about them is one of the many reasons I'm not very interested in finding a traditional publisher. For HF, the solution is easy: find a period-correct portrait or artifact. And then pay a graphic artist who can photoshop really beautifully to arrange the elements, including artwork, title, and author's name, on the cover.

And if I may say it, even if someone up in the big six publishers' art department has declared that headless or back-turned women sell better than full-face covers, I doubt that has been market tested (as in, cover A with model's head gone versus same cover B showing head/face). I suspect that if it were put to a consumer test, it would be weighted towards seeing the face. From infancy, human brains are hard-wired to seek out things that approximate human features.[/quote]

I certainly prefer to see the person's face on a cover, although I find it a little disconcerting when the model is staring right out at me, like in the two below. I'm not sure why, but I prefer covers like the Queen's Pawn above where they're looking elsewhere! (Although at least there's continuity in the two below.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine & "A Noel Killing" by M L Longworth
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 2:54 pm

I prefer the whole head too, but prefer it if they're slightly turned away - those two covers in the previous post are a bit full on (and too modern!).
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine & "A Noel Killing" by M L Longworth

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 3:46 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]Sometimes they do get it right, but it's because they've used an overused portrait, such as the one of Anne Boleyn that we see on covers so often.

But I've also seen some covers that have been shot specifically for the book in question, with a model wearing an outfit that has actually been described in the book - the only one I can think of right now is Captive Queen by Alison Weir, but I know I've seen others.[/quote]

That far right of The Captive Queen is historically inaccurate for the period though.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue July 23rd, 2013, 3:50 pm

My sales quadrupled when my models went half-head, and that's a solid fact. The Other Boleyn Girl was a massive bestseller and the start of that half-head cover. I had a reader write to me and say that she far prefferred headless. When people had faces she had to put a sticker over them so that she could imagine the person in her mind's eye. So I'd say it's complicated. :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “General Discussion”