Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Devils Brood by Sharon Kay Penman

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri November 14th, 2008, 4:48 am

Well, if she is the same Maud from Here Be Dragons, then she dies of starvation in one of John's dungeons.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri November 14th, 2008, 4:57 am

[quote=""Ash""]Well, if she is the same Maud from Here Be Dragons, then she dies of starvation in one of John's dungeons.[/quote]

Different Maud, fortunately. It's Maud de Braose who's starved by John.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Fri November 14th, 2008, 6:07 am

[quote=""KingEricCantona7""]How does King Henry II rank among England's other monarchs?[/quote]

He's generally regarded as one of the best monarchs in English history. He should be put in the same sentence as Alfred, Henry VIII, Elizabeth and Victoria, and so forth.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri November 14th, 2008, 10:02 am

[quote=""KingEricCantona7""]What ever happened to Henry's cousin Maud, the countess of Chester?[/quote]

One of the royal genealogy sites I use says she died in 1189.
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.ph ... 2&tree=LEO

The other one does not have much information at all.
http://www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/cgi-bin/gedl ... royal29239
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri November 14th, 2008, 1:17 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Different Maud, fortunately. It's Maud de Braose who's starved by John.[/quote]

Thanks; I should reread Dragons so I can sort out dates and characters.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri November 14th, 2008, 4:36 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Thanks; I should reread Dragons so I can sort out dates and characters.[/quote]

Any excuse!!! :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

sharon
Reader

Post by sharon » Sat November 15th, 2008, 7:01 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Oh yes, its on my calendar, I'll be there! See you then![/quote]

ASH, that is such good news! I'm looking forward to meeting you. You are lucky to live close to the Poisoned Pen. If I lived in Scottsdale or Phoenix, I'd never get any work done, though, would spend all my time prowling the book store or coming to their author events. For the past few years I've been coming to an annual event in June, so a November visit will be a nice change of pace--less chance of melting into a puddle of sweat as soon as I step out onto the tarmac.
Sharon

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat November 15th, 2008, 11:29 pm

It has been a bit warmer than usual the last week - mid 80s during the day, but the evenings and mornings have been actually chilly! Next week is supposed to be much of the same. But even tho its not as cool as it should be (75 is average for this time of the year), its a hell of a lot better than being here in July! (in fact, any time between May and October....) Looking forward to seeing you again!

Well, unfortunately (or fortunately) I live much closer to Changing Hands, our indie store. Good thing they aren't close by.

I am still reading non HF. Just started Susan Isaacs "Any Place I Wear my Hat".

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 16th, 2008, 1:17 am

[quote=""Ash""]It has been a bit warmer than usual the last week - mid 80s during the day, but the evenings and mornings have been actually chilly! Next week is supposed to be much of the same. But even tho its not as cool as it should be (75 is average for this time of the year), its a hell of a lot better than being here in July! (in fact, any time between May and October....) [/quote]

He, you guys in AZ crack me up. It's freaking 75 degrees and the little old ladies are wearing sweaters and long pants. The one and only time I had to come to AZ in the summertime I thought I was going to die. I'll take my 65 degrees and slightly overcast Seattle anytime :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun November 16th, 2008, 3:12 am

Believe me, I'd love it too. But since I can't move away to a better climate, I take what I can get - and our weather here from November to March is absolutely lovely.

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”