Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Devils Brood by Sharon Kay Penman

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 8:50 am

[quote=""sharon""]HI, ASH,
No, I am still planning to be there; I love the Poisoned Pen, try to get out to visit once a year. We are doing an event on November 19th with Diana Gabaldon, Dana Stabenow, and me. Is there any chance you might be able to come? I'd love to meet you!
Sharon[/quote]

That's a historical fiction lovers dream book signing right there isn't it?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Laura
Reader

Post by Laura » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 10:45 am

Another wonderful book by SKP, where the struggle for the power between Richard´s sons prevails over most of his kingdom. The strong character of Eleanor shows already her fight for women rights on state decisions even in a medieval era. The dialogues between the main characters are very well written within an historical context based on a very careful historical research performed by SKP.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 1:31 pm

[quote=""sharon""]HI, ASH,
No, I am still planning to be there; I love the Poisoned Pen, try to get out to visit once a year. We are doing an event on November 19th with Diana Gabaldon, Dana Stabenow, and me. Is there any chance you might be able to come? I'd love to meet you!
Sharon[/quote]

Oh yes, its on my calendar, I'll be there! See you then!

Laura
Reader

Post by Laura » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 6:22 pm

Sharon, after reading your wonderful book, Devil´s Brood, I am planning to visit Fontevrault during my vacation.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 6:54 pm

[quote=""Laura""] The strong character of Eleanor shows already her fight for women rights on state decisions even in a medieval era. [/quote]

I didn't get that at all! My impression was that Eleanor believed strongly in her own rights as royalty and the rightful Duchess of Aquitaine but I never saw how that translated into Eleanor favoring rights for ALL women with regard to government or state decisions. I think she was pretty much OK with the status quo as long as it didn't interfere with her ambitions or that of her sons.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue November 4th, 2008, 12:35 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]That's a historical fiction lovers dream book signing right there isn't it?[/quote]

Oh yes. BTW, where is Poison Pen located?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue November 4th, 2008, 1:39 am

Scottsdale, Arizona.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue November 4th, 2008, 3:31 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]Scottsdale, Arizona.[/quote]

Its one of the oldest independent bookstores in the Phoenix area, along with Changing Hands, a bookstore that won the Publishers Weekly 2007 bookseller of the year.

Heres a link to Poison Pen
http://www.poisonedpen.com/

sharon
Reader

Susan's Devil's Brood castles

Post by sharon » Tue November 11th, 2008, 8:48 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Some English and Welsh settings:

Dover Castle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Castle

Woodstock Palace: Henry II spent time with Rosamund Clifford here; palace was destroyed during the English Civil War; Blenheim Palace, the home of the Dukes of Marlborough, was built on the site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_Palace

St. David Abbey in Wales: present cathedral was started in 1181
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_David%27s_Cathedral
Image[/quote]

Hi, everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know that we now have Susan's castles up on my website, with all credit due to her, of course. I know my website visitors are going to be thrilled. And who knows, maybe the French Tourist Board will owe her a vote of thanks, too! I'm not an unbiased observer, but I can't imagine anyone viewing these magnificent castles and abbeys and not wanting to hop on the next plane.
Sharon

KingEricCantona7
Scribbler

Post by KingEricCantona7 » Thu November 13th, 2008, 11:29 pm

I do have a couple of questions after finishing the book.

How does King Henry II rank among England's other monarchs?

What ever happened to Henry's cousin Maud, the countess of Chester?

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”