Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Devils Brood by Sharon Kay Penman

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon October 27th, 2008, 11:11 pm

Thank you very much for the pictures. It's always fun to see the places mentioned in historical novels.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue October 28th, 2008, 12:44 am

Love the pictures! Thanks for doing that, Susan!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

sharon
Reader

Susan's castles

Post by sharon » Sat November 1st, 2008, 4:31 pm

Hi, everyone,
I just sent Susan an e-mail telling her how much I loved what she has done with Henry and Eleanor's castles, but I wanted to let everyone know how fantastic I think it is. This is Sharon K. Penman, by the way, finally able to make it back to your forum. I am sorry to report that I continue to have ongoing health problems that keep me away from the computer for periods of time so if there are delays in posting my website blogs or in answering your e-mails or in responding to the forum posts, please don't blame me--blame my myriad of odd ailments that have had me under siege this year, the newest being Lyme Disease (maybe, we're still waiting for the Western blot test) and peripheral neuropathy, a fancy way of saying I have nerve damage.
Back to a much more interesting subject, the forum and Susan's castles. I am going to do my Paul Revere routine and spread the word about the forum, for there must be lots of dedicated fans of historical fiction out there who don't yet know they have an on-line Mecca waiting for them. I had so much fun answering questions two weeks ago, until my computer threw a temper tantrum. I was very disappointed when we had to cancel my book tour for DB, as I love the chance to meet with readers. But these on-line opportunities have done much to ease the disappointment, and unlike a book tour, there is no end in sight!
I got to stay at Fonrevrault two years ago as there is now a hotel on the abbey grounds, in the old lazer house, and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Unlike the regular visitors, hotel guests had unlimited access to the abbey church, buildings, and gardens, and each evening at twilight I would take a walk through the orchards and gardens, then pop into the church to say goodnight to Henry and Eleanor. For anyone thinking of a trip to the Loire Valley, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough, and I will be delighted to provide more details as needed.
Happy All Soul's Day to all,
Sharon

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat November 1st, 2008, 5:39 pm

[quote=""sharon""]Hi, everyone, I just sent Susan an e-mail telling her how much I loved what she has done with Henry and Eleanor's castles, but I wanted to let everyone know how fantastic I think it is. [/quote]

I was surprised and honored to receive Sharon's email!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat November 1st, 2008, 6:35 pm

Glad to have you back, Sharon!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat November 1st, 2008, 9:18 pm

Staying at that hotel sounds fantastic!

Thanks for spreading the word, and for visiting us, when you can of course!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat November 1st, 2008, 9:22 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Staying at that hotel sounds fantastic!

[/quote]

It does sound wonderful. You can do the same at Manorbier Castle, but I think I'd rather Henry and Eleanor than Gerald of Wales. Then again, the amount of gossip from the latter would be very fascinating!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 3:13 am

[quote=""sharon""]I will be delighted to provide more details as needed.
Sharon[/quote]

I can vouch for her; I just finished reading the Welsh trilogy when we were planning our first trip to Britain. I knew I wanted to go to Wales so I wrote Sharon asking her if she had any suggestions where to start looking for places that were in her books. I really didn't expect a reply. Imagine my surprise at a three page letter from her, giving me all sorts of ideas and travel tips! That trip to Wales ended up being one of the most memorable trips in my life, so I owe Sharon a big thanks!

BTW Sharon, you mentioned you had to cancel your book tour. I just checked the Poison Pen website and it still has you there for Nov 19th. Has that been canceled also?
Last edited by Ash on Sun November 2nd, 2008, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

sharon
Reader

Post by sharon » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 4:42 am

[quote=""Ash""]I can vouch for her; I just finished reading the Welsh trilogy when we were planning our first trip to Britain. I knew I wanted to go to Wales so I wrote Sharon asking her if she had any suggestions where to start looking for places that were in her books. I really didn't expect a reply. Imagine my surprise at a three page letter from her, giving me all sorts of ideas and travel tips! That trip to Wales ended up being one of the most memorable trips in my life, so I owe Sharon a big thanks!

BTW Sharon, you mentioned you had to cancel your book tour. I just checked the Poison Pen website and it still has you there for Nov 19th. Has that been canceled also?[/quote]

HI, ASH,
No, I am still planning to be there; I love the Poisoned Pen, try to get out to visit once a year. We are doing an event on November 19th with Diana Gabaldon, Dana Stabenow, and me. Is there any chance you might be able to come? I'd love to meet you!
Sharon

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 5:11 am

Crikey! SKP and DG at the same place...at the same time!!!! I know if I were anywhere in the vicinity I would be there!

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”