Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? July 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 12th, 2013, 5:11 am

Posted by SPB
I have astigmatisms and I've had soft lenses for years....
Interesting, I was told it wouldn't work for me, but that was quite some time ago now and things have probably advanced since then.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 12th, 2013, 8:33 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Gosh, it seems contacts appeared earlier everywhere than the UK! Does anyone in the UK remember them being current any earlier than my memory of about 1979?

I have astigmatisms and I've had soft lenses for years....[/quote]

Me too - I've always had soft lenses and although the astigmatism is a relatively recent development (age probably :rolleyes: :mad: !) it didn't cause a problem, apart from changing the prescription. So I'm really surprised about what annis said. Know what you mean about the dryness though :rolleyes: although staring at a screen most of the day doesn't help either!

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Fri July 12th, 2013, 8:49 am

[quote=""annis""]

Interesting, I was told it wouldn't work for me, but that was quite some time ago now and things have probably advanced since then.[/quote]

Uhu same here. That doctor said I'd be loosing them every 5 minutes because they couldnt stick to the surface of my eyes or something like that. This was around 1980 and I remember the contacts had been around for years then.
After that I never inquiered again although I know they have evolved a lot but I'm very sensitive to light changes and I'm not sure contatcs would help me with that. Anyway I think the first I heard from them was maybe 1975 or so. I see in internet the first soft contact lenses were commercial since 1971 ::shrug::

Finished The Twelfth Department (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev #3) by William Ryan. I like that series. Now reading Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton. So far I'm not impressed by the maturity of the characters but uh... reading...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri July 12th, 2013, 10:28 am

Just to weigh in - I have astigmatism in one eye only, and I wear soft contact lenses from two different manufacturers. I wear daily disposables because I only use them at weekends (can't stare at a screen in an air-conditioned office wearing them - too dry!) , and the pack of 30 'astigmatic' lenses is only a few pounds more expensive than the normal ones. Sometimes it moves around in my eye a bit though and can momentarily blur vision before it rights itself, so I never wear them while driving, just in case.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 12th, 2013, 10:37 am

Yes I only wear them socially too for the same reasons as Lady B - they can move around a but but usually settle down after a few minutes - when my prescription changed I think it went up by about an extra £5 per month which does of course work out at £60 a year but compared to glasses they're a bargain!

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Fri July 12th, 2013, 11:42 am

I recently finished Mariana by Susanna Kearsley and House of Illusions by Pauline Gedge.
Now just started The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat July 13th, 2013, 12:35 am

Still working on Vlad: The Last Confession, It's picked up a bit in the middle. Also started Princesses Behaving Badly--one of those "let's survey a hundred different historical women in a snappy modern style" books. I like them for clues to historical figures, I've missed over the years. I always find a few I want to learn much more about.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat July 13th, 2013, 5:22 am

Nearly finished with A Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Anyone have recommendations for similar novels? (Other than the Lost World, which I have somewhere.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat July 13th, 2013, 11:58 am

Still ongoing with Stormbird. It's telling the history through the stories of several different characters with quite a bit of fighting involved now. Margaret of Anjou disappeared for 80 pages but she's back now and quite a bit more knowing and authoritative than she was last time out.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

HevRob
Scribbler

Post by HevRob » Sun July 14th, 2013, 2:52 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Still ongoing with Stormbird. It's telling the history through the stories of several different characters with quite a bit of fighting involved now. Margaret of Anjou disappeared for 80 pages but she's back now and quite a bit more knowing and authoritative than she was last time out.[/quote]

Thanks for all the Stormbird updates - am following your comments with interest. I don't know this era well. . . I'm just under half way through Sword and Scimitar now. I enjoy Scarrow's writing but the characters are not grabbing me in the same way as those from his Eagle series, but still a good read in my opinion.

Return to “General Discussion”