Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? July 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
HevRob
Scribbler

Post by HevRob » Tue July 2nd, 2013, 7:24 pm

Off on holiday next week and taking Sword & Scimitar by Simon Scarrow with me. Has anybody read it yet?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue July 2nd, 2013, 8:44 pm

[quote=""HevRob""]Off on holiday next week and taking Sword & Scimitar by Simon Scarrow with me. Has anybody read it yet?[/quote]

Nope. Is that part of his Roman series? (I've been meaning to read that.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue July 2nd, 2013, 11:34 pm

GAH just lost a whole post. Dagnabbit.

Threads like these tend to intimidate me, as I'm not good about staying on top of everything that's current in histfic, but I figure I should take the plunge. So.

Slowly finishing off The Red Tent over lunch hours, and it's okay but I can't get excited about it. Ursula leGuin's Lavinia spanks it, for a take on "the unseen woman" character from ancient literature - and of course one has to swallow rather a lot of biologically untenable theory in service of goddess paganism. I don't mind goddess paganism, but it does have an unfortunate tendency to come with a soundtrack of feminist ax-grinding, and even as a feminist (especially as a feminist) I find that distracting when I wish to be told a *story*.

I've also recently picked up Steinbeck's "The Acts of King Arthur and his Noble Knights" again, having not read it in (apparently) fourteen years. Wanting to see how that one feels at this point in my life. I'd love to have time to re-read that, as well as Mary Stewart's Arthurian series, again. They've been on my mind lately.

On the non histfic front, if I could get my Galaxy charged up again (yay! the charger has spontaneously quit working - great), I'd finish up Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently novels. In some ways, I like them better than the H2G2s.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed July 3rd, 2013, 3:17 am

Posted by HevRob
Off on holiday next week and taking Sword & Scimitar by Simon Scarrow with me. Has anybody read it yet?
I'm a Simon Scarrow fan, but Sword and Scimitar - a stand-alone set around the 1565 Great Siege of Malta - just didn't do it for me, I'm afraid. I don't want to put a damper on your reading experience, though, and it has plenty of happy readers, going by the Amazon reviews. I feel SS may have chugged this one through too quickly in a race to capture the Christmas market. Be interested to hear your opinion once you've read it yourself :)
Last edited by annis on Wed July 3rd, 2013, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

HevRob
Scribbler

Post by HevRob » Wed July 3rd, 2013, 8:52 pm

I will certainly let you know how I get on with Sword & Scimitar...

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Fri July 5th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Currently reading The Falcons of Fire and Ice by Karen Maitland. Really hoping this is better than her last (The Gallows Curse) which I found a huge disappointment compared to The Owl Killers and A Company of Liars.
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat July 6th, 2013, 4:26 am

The Golden Dice by Elisabeth Storrs - sequel to Wedding Shroud, set in Italy during the struggle for power between ancient Rome and the Etruscan League. Loved WS and enjoying the continuation of Caecelia's story.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat July 6th, 2013, 12:50 pm

[quote=""annis""]The Golden Dice by Elisabeth Storrs - sequel to Wedding Shroud, set in Italy during the struggle for power between ancient Rome and the Etruscan League. Loved WS and enjoying the continuation of Caecelia's story.[/quote]

I hadn't realized the sequel was out. It's $4.99 (US) for the Kindle as is The Wedding Shroud. Thanks!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat July 6th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Just started Conn Iggulden's Stormbird. The opening is dramatic but I am not convinced it's authentic.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat July 6th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Plan of Chicago by Carl Smith (NF)