Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Need ideas for the blog

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon October 13th, 2008, 2:44 pm

I often read terms for historical or non-contemporary diseases, disorders or other ailments that sound so fanciful, for want of a better description. The origins of some of them are obvious such as breakbone for dengue fever. But I wonder about the origin of the names for many current health issues we modern readers would know about that are no longer used. Where did the term consumption for TB originate, or dropsy for edema or screws for rheumatism?

An idea for a blog might be an explanation of the origins of the terms used for some of the major diseases and ailments prior to contemporary use.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon October 13th, 2008, 2:47 pm

This might go with the midwives n such but what about childbed fever.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Holly Tucker
Scribbler

Wow!

Post by Holly Tucker » Wed October 15th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Great suggestions, thanks thanks thanks! It looks like birth control wins the day. I'll put that on the top of my "to do" list.

And I'd love to hear more about the apothecary in New Orleans. Sounds fascinating!

Holly
http://www.wondersandmarvels.com

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Wed October 15th, 2008, 4:33 pm

Witchdoctors. I don't mean savages in jungles jumping up and down with scary masks and feathers, but European and Middle-Eastern physicians who used charms and spells as a matter of course. I'd be glad to contribute.

Return to “Questions and Research”