Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Distant Thunder by TD Griggs

Manda Scott
Reader

Distant Thunder by TD Griggs

Post by Manda Scott » Sun May 19th, 2013, 12:16 pm

I've never been a great lover of Imperial Britain: the stories of heroic men heroically destroying indigenous cultures has never seemed to me all that... heroic. Or good. Or worthwhile. It may be a history of our land, but on the whole, I'd rather not know the gory details.

But then TD Griggs produced 'Distant Thunder' and this is definitely a case of following the author - his "Redemption Blues" is one of the best contemporary thrillers I have ever read and marked him as one to follow. Against natural instinct, therefore - and I have to say against a cover that does nothing whatsoever to recommend the book - I read it.

I am so glad that I did. In brief, this is the story of two people: young Frank Gray lives an idyllic life in Bangalore (1893) when he is the unwitting witness to his mother's assault and death. A man flees the scene and based on minor memories of his uniform and a name said by his mother, Frank is set on a life bent on vengeance.

In England, Grace Dearborn is the heir to the Dearborn industrial inheritance. But she, too, is growing in a changing world and her relationship with the housekeeper, the formidable, politically active Mrs Rossiter (a wonderful foil to Grace's vapid mother), changes forever her view of the world into which she has been born.

I'm not giving too much of a spoiler to tell you that their paths cross and it is in their different priorities that much of the emotional action is grounded.

As with REDEMPTION BLUES, the language, and literacy of this is glorious, and the depth and texture of characterisation is beautiful. Frank and Grace are the kinds of people who lived with me for days after the end of the book and the denouement, particularly of Franks' quest for vengeance is handled intelligently, thoughtfully and came utterly unexpectedly.

I loved this book. Please do buy it and read it - it's a treasure.

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”