Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Poldark adaptation coming to BBC

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

New Poldark adaptation coming to BBC

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri May 10th, 2013, 10:14 pm

The BBC have commissioned a brand new Poldark adaptation. They've said it's not a remake of the 1970s series, but a new adaptation of the first book, Ross Poldark.

Lots of news reports, e.g. this one:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/ma ... adaptation

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat May 11th, 2013, 3:54 am

The original series is so well-known and loved that a new version might be a bit of a hard sell. Maybe they hope to catch an audience young enough to have never seen the original :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon May 13th, 2013, 9:34 am

I loved the 1970s Poldark series. I can't imagine anyone other than Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees in the lead roles! I will watch it, though.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon May 13th, 2013, 8:52 pm

For those who want to look back at the original series, I pulled it up from the "Masterpiece Theater" archives. The first one aired in 1977; the 2nd the following year. Alistair Cooke's intros to the 1st episodes of each series and the original posters are included.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Night Hawks" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 14th, 2013, 9:12 am

[quote=""annis""]The original series is so well-known and loved that a new version might be a bit of a hard sell. Maybe they hope to catch an audience young enough to have never seen the original :) [/quote]

Yes I would think so, after all it's about 35 years :eek: since it was originally shown. I didn't watch it first time round but have seen a few eps on a digital channel which repeated it 3 years ago, and enjoyed them. I've read the first 2 books and loved them. Should be interesting. I'd always thought it was only a matter of time before they were re-made.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Tue May 14th, 2013, 9:38 am

I wonder who will be playing Ross and Demelza?

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 14th, 2013, 1:10 pm

I never saw the original mini-series (but I think they're available for streaming these days). I did read the first three books when they were finally released as ebooks. I hope this means they have plans for releasing the rest of the books in the series as ebooks. I've been waiting!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed May 15th, 2013, 8:42 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I wonder who will be playing Ross and Demelza?[/quote]

I just told my hubby the other day, I though David Tenant would make a great Ross (just watched him in a WWII period piece and saw him on horseback) if they remade the series. Don't have a clue who I'd want as Demelza. That said, I loved the original.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 16th, 2013, 8:19 am

Maybe Richard Armitage for Ross? And possibly Rose Leslie (Ygritte in Game of Thrones) for Demelza?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Thu May 16th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Oooh, yes, Madeleine. I think you have it spot on there!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”