Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? May 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri May 10th, 2013, 4:02 am

[quote=""princess garnet""]Finished The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze, teen read
There's supposed to be a sequel but nothing yet.

Now: Jewels by Victoria Finlay (NF)
A look at 9 precious gemstones.
Atlanta's Ponce de Leon Avenue by Sharon F. Jones (NF)
Local history of Atlanta's famous street[/quote]

I have had a look at Victoria Finlay's books before. She also has one about the history of paint pigments. They look interesting.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri May 10th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Fiona Mountain's Lady of the Butterflies. Interesting thus far.
Brenna

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 10th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White- another on my list of classics to be caught up with this year. Although I've read The Moonstone and even slogged through his ponderous historical novel Antonina or The Fall of Rome (not recommended unless you're really keen), somehow I missed WIW.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Fri May 10th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Nearly half-way through Wife to the Bastard by Hilda Lewis and so far so good. I've never read anything with William the Conqueror being one of the main characters.
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat May 11th, 2013, 3:56 pm

[quote=""annis""]Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White- another on my list of classics to be caught up with this year. Although I've read The Moonstone and even slogged through his ponderous historical novel Antonina or The Fall of Rome (not recommended unless you're really keen), somehow I missed WIW.[/quote]
I read Woman in White while in France last year. It was originally published as a magazine serial. It's good!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat May 11th, 2013, 4:32 pm

I don't think I've read Collins yet. Have two going right now. The Light Heart by Elswyth Thane and These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer.

My, what autocorrect wanted to do with GH :p
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat May 11th, 2013, 6:18 pm

These Old Shades is a favourite of mine. I like the setting- France in the 18th century - a change from the usual Regency England.

Yes, predictive text and auto-correct are features we could definitely do without in my opinion!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat May 11th, 2013, 6:43 pm

[quote=""annis""]These Old Shades is a favourite of mine. I like the setting- France in the 18th century - a change from the usual Regency England.

Yes, predictive text and auto-correct are features we could definitely do without in my opinion![/quote]

I'm enjoying it (These Old Shades). I do like some features of the autocorrect on the Fire, since it guesses the word and I can tap and not have to complete banging on the keys, but some of the things it comes up with if I don't pay attention... :o

Edit. I forgot to mention - how cool is it to zap a library book to your kindle at 5AM in a matter of minutes?
Last edited by Misfit on Sat May 11th, 2013, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sat May 11th, 2013, 6:58 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]
Edit. I forgot to mention - how cool is it to zap a library book to your kindle at 5AM in a matter of minutes?[/quote]
Not in the UK though :( I have to steal my partner's Kobo for that. Wish Amazon would hurry up and sort that one out!

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sun May 12th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Just finished 'The Kingmaker's Daughter' by Philippa Gregory. A novel about Anne Neville wife to Richard III.
It can be hard to read a novel when another author has written such an outstanding book about the same historical figures.

Return to “General Discussion”