Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Writers' roll call?

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun October 12th, 2008, 2:30 pm

I wasn't sure whether to reply since "writer" is often taken to mean "fiction writer," which I'm not. But I have written three books, two of which relate to the subject of the forum (the first was a library career handbook).

Historical Fiction: A Guide to the Genre (2005) and the sequel, Historical Fiction II (spring 2009), are guides to recent and classic historical novels. Each chapter surveys a historical fiction subgenre (historical mystery, adventure fiction, timeslip, etc), talking about current trends and providing annotations for novels that fit the category.

More frequently I write book reviews and articles - I have an article about popular trends in historical fiction coming out next month in Bookmarks Magazine.

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Sun October 12th, 2008, 4:46 pm

[quote=""Volgadon""]Do we, unpublished writers, count?[/quote]

of course! i want to hear what all writers
here are working on.

everyone has stories of such interesting
people and periods. wow. totally inspiring.

michelle--i would love to get a doctorate
in ... something. haha! i just love learning.
and keep writing what you're passionate
about! i'm so impressed you're onto your third
novel AND doing a doctorate?

julianne, i think two book deal is definitely
possible for you. /bootay shake! =D

christine, querying hell was hard. i queried
121 agents. i had quite a few say : good writing,
but this will never sell in the current YA market.
i didn't believe them.

EC2--twenty-five novels? WOW! and i'm askeered
of starting my second!!

ariadne--writers are writers. we all suffer and get
our writerly highs together. only another writer would
truly understand it, i think. 8) those sound like
awesome, meaty books!!

if anyone else is doing nano this year, let me know.
or friend me : xiaotien.

happy sunday!
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

Anita Davison
Scribbler

Writers and Books

Post by Anita Davison » Sun October 12th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Xiaotien,

Thank you for the opportunity to talk about ourselves, although I still have problems with the self promotions thing. It's the voice of my mother at my shoulder whispering, 'Don't be pushy, dear.'

Anyway, I have two books published, Duking Days Rebellion , released 2007 set in 17th century England at the time of the Monmouth Rebellion. [If anyone wants to know what that was, just ask, I can go on about it for hours!] The second is the sequel, Duking Days Revolution which was released this year, and takes the characters into the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

My current wip is a Victorian Gothic Romance set in Cornwall in 1882, but I haven't found a publisher for that one yet.

Thank you for asking.....

Anita
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun October 12th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Cindy - I'm so glad you started this post! My list of to-buy and must-take-note-to-read has grown significantly.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Sun October 12th, 2008, 10:01 pm

I like this thread -- fun to see what everybody is up to!

My first novel, The Sunflowers, will be coming out in fall 2009 with Avon-A/HarperCollins. It explores the last two years of Vincent van Gogh's life through the eyes of Rachel, a Provencal prostitute. She is famous to history as the person to whom he gave a piece of his ear on 23 December 1888. I am working on my second novel but have not gotten very far, and prefer not to reveal its subject just yet. It's set in the 19th century (again) and it's about art (again). That's all I'm sayin'. ;)

My other life is as a fulltime art history professor, so a lot of my writing is for my job. My first nonfiction book came out in 2005 with Cambridge Univ. Press, called Music and Image in Classical Athens. My Ph.D. is in ancient Greek art, so my journal articles and reviews tend to be in that area, and I've started a second nonfiction book. An exception is a journal article coming out in the spring (classics journal Helios) on Oliver Stone's film Alexander (and the Dionysian themes thereof). I had fun with that one!

May or may not ever set a novel in ancient Greece or anyplace ancient. I spend too much time there already. ;)
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun October 12th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Anita, I didn't know about your Duking Days novels and have added them to the 17th Century page at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info.

I've published some short fiction and nonfiction, and my agent is currently sending around a novel I've written based on the medieval German epic poem Das Nibelungenlied (Song of the Nibelungs) about the murder of Siegfried and Kriemhild's revenge.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon October 13th, 2008, 1:53 am

Yay, EC , I'll be hanging out for that book about Harold Godwinsson and Edith Swanneck! I think we've mentioned before that their story deserves a novel of its own. There are several novels around about Harold, but somehow I haven't found one yet which captures what must have been an enduring love affair and I think that you'd be just the person to do it.

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Mon October 13th, 2008, 2:43 am

anita, i'm so glad you posted! i'm so glad
everyone posted!

i read in passing in various threads about
writers here on the forum, and i was definitely
curious. now i am amazed, inspired and intrigued
at everything you all are writing!

how fantastic and exciting!

yes, michelle, the TBR list is growing by
leaps and bounds!!

sheramy, love the sound of your debut.
and you are a fellow harpercollins sister!
good luck with the sequel!
i'm seriously scared of leaping into rough
drafting again, and am using nano to jump
start me!!
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon October 13th, 2008, 3:17 am

I used to be a writer, but not anymore. Of course when I did write, it wasn't historical fiction.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Mon October 13th, 2008, 9:09 am

Several WIPs, one in 1830s Afghanistan, a short story about the last years of the border reivers (not quite mosstroopers yet either), an 18th c. novel about the Pugachev Rebellion and a nearly completed novella about Jews in Odessa at the turn of the century.

Return to “The Craft of Writing”