Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

God Save the King by Laura Purcell

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri April 26th, 2013, 12:16 am

Just a wee review...I've read quite a bit of nonfiction about George III and his family and know their histories, but this novel (as HF does) helped to humanize them in my mind. The novel is told from the point of view of George III's wife Charlotte and his six daughters. (Charlotte and George had 15 children and 13 survived to adulthood!) George III's illness (which was probably the inherited disease porphyria) plays a big role in the novel along with the effect it had on his family, particularly his wife. Made me want to watch The Madness of King George again. The author plans to write other novels about royal women from the Hanover dynasty.
http://laurapurcell.com/
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri April 26th, 2013, 12:43 am

Thanks Susan. I have this languishing on my kindle somewhere.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri April 26th, 2013, 8:51 am

I watched The Madness of King George after reading it too!

I had kind of skipped much of this period in my reading, so I am excited about a whole new slew of people to get to know! I have ordered some books and am looking forward to get learning about George IV and Caroline of Brunswick, which sounds like a match made in hell!

I'll be looking forward to Laura Purcell's next book.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri April 26th, 2013, 10:36 am

[quote=""Amanda""]I have ordered some books and am looking forward to get learning about George IV and Caroline of Brunswick, which sounds like a match made in hell![/quote]

Flora Fraser's biography of Caroline (Unruly Queen) is excellent.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri April 26th, 2013, 10:47 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Flora Fraser's biography of Caroline (Unruly Queen) is excellent.[/quote]

Indeed it is! Also recommended:

Princesses
by Flora Fraser (about George III's daughters)
A Royal Affair by Stella Tillyard (about George III's siblings)
George III by Christopher Hibbert
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sat April 27th, 2013, 1:12 am

Ordered both of the Flora Fraser books already!

Will look out for the others mentioned now too

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat April 27th, 2013, 1:38 am

A bit hard to find dirt cheap, but Michael Dyne's The Glitter and the Gold is very good and a lot of fun. Prinny and his marriage to Mariah Fitzherbert (sp?). You get plenty of life with the folks and siblings though.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat April 27th, 2013, 1:49 am

[quote=""Misfit""]A bit hard to find dirt cheap, but Michael Dyne's The Glitter and the Gold is very good and a lot of fun. Prinny and his marriage to Mariah Fitzherbert (sp?). You get plenty of life with the folks and siblings though.[/quote]

This reminded me that there is also a good NF about Maria Fitzherbert:
Maria Fitzherbert by James Munson
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sat April 27th, 2013, 2:38 am

[quote=""Misfit""]A bit hard to find dirt cheap, but Michael Dyne's The Glitter and the Gold is very good and a lot of fun. Prinny and his marriage to Mariah Fitzherbert (sp?). You get plenty of life with the folks and siblings though.[/quote]

That was actually the book that made me put in my first used book order in a long time! (I have fallen off the wagon! Trying to only buy on kindle these days.) I saw the recommendation on another thread.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun April 28th, 2013, 2:26 am

I just watched The Madness of King George. I hadn't seen it for at least several years and it is a good companion to the novel. Excellent screenplay and superb acting. I still think Nigel Hawthorne should have won the Oscar for Best Actor...he lost to Tom Hanks in Forest Gump.

I kept thinking that the actor who played Whig MP and leader of the opposition Charles James Fox was familiar. I was sure his voice and face seemed familiar, but I couldn't place him. I looked it up and it was Jim Carter who plays Mr. Carson, the butler on Downton Abbey!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”