Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Boston Tragedy

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

The Boston Tragedy

Post by rebecca » Sat April 20th, 2013, 4:15 am

It was a great relief to see the police were able to arrest the terrorist with no further loss of life.

The events of this past week though are so tragic that I fail to understand why people are rejoicing in the streets?...I'm glad it has ended and that the remaining terrorist will now face the law, but my heart goes out to the families of those who died and those whose lives have now been changed forever.

My prayers are with the families who have suffered so much including the families of the dead police officer who died last night and I hope and pray the other officer makes it.

Too too sad. :(

Bec

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat April 20th, 2013, 5:36 pm

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole thing, and why these young men would do something like this (allegedly). I was listening to an interview with the stepson of the man who owned the boat, and what a close call it was when the police let people go outside their homes, and he noticed the cover loose and blood and still approached it and actually lifted the cover and looked inside! :eek: :eek:

Maybe because we had a suspect on the loose in my neck of the woods that hid in a boat in a similar manner (can't remember the specifics), but I wanted to strangle him for not backing off and calling 911.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this horrible tragedy.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sun April 21st, 2013, 1:58 pm

I spent Friday night glued to tv set, praying for my friend and her young family, who lived a mile away from the "action." I'm just glad they we able to arrest him without more loss of life.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon April 22nd, 2013, 3:56 am

It's hard to think straight when you stare at evil and see two presentable young men who had a second chance in America to escape a life of death and destruction. And the image of a smiling terrorist placing the bomb beside that poor little boy. So many lives lost and for what? To make a statement? On what for God sake!

If the older brother didn't like his life in America then why didn't he simply return to live in his land of birth?

The trouble is we smother news papers with their photo's and they think they're suddenly super stars......*shakes my head*...As for that man who peeped into that boat OMG! If I was his wife I would have yelled at him, he could've been another victim.

But also cheers to the brave police, swat teams and emergency services who saw it through to the end.

Bec :) But I'm still heartsore over so many lost lives.... :(

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon April 22nd, 2013, 9:05 am

I can't understand what goes through some people's minds to do something like this. Just dreadful. There was a period of silence before the London Marathon yesterday in memory.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon April 22nd, 2013, 11:08 pm

Note to cnn and other news outlets: I could care less about the bomber's condition and the reaction of his family. I care about the victims' conditions and the reactions of their families.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

Return to “Chat”