Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Labyrinth

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Darkest Evening" by Ann Cleeves
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Labyrinth

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 2nd, 2013, 8:44 am

Anyone watch this over the weekend? I'm about halfway through the second part. It's OK but a bit of a mess and not particularly easy to follow - true it's about 6 years since I read the book and I can't remember much about it :o It has Katie McGrath - from Merlin - in it and she's playing pretty much the same part as Morgana, just more raunchy and evil :rolleyes: And so many ad breaks :mad:

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue April 2nd, 2013, 9:21 am

Crap, I didn't know it was on already. Must go look for reruns.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue April 2nd, 2013, 9:22 am

Another one I've recorded, Madeleine. I've also recorded The Village, a new BBC epic drama series set over 100 years beginning in 1914.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 2nd, 2013, 11:26 am

I recorded The Village but not sure if I fancy it, I've heard it's very "grim up North" - sorry to anyone who lives in the area, no offence intended! But even the preview articles I read said it was relentlessly grim.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue April 2nd, 2013, 11:32 am

I wall-banged Labyrinth the book, so didn't bother to record or watch the programme.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed April 3rd, 2013, 12:39 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]Another one I've recorded, Madeleine. I've also recorded The Village, a new BBC epic drama series set over 100 years beginning in 1914.[/quote]

I want to see both Labrynth(not read the book) does it also star Sybil(Downtown Abbey)? And I want to watch 'The Village' but may have to order it from Amazon U.K once it is released. I don't know if Australia will air these two shows.

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed April 3rd, 2013, 8:30 am

Yes Lady Sybil is in it, as well as Morgana from Merlin (who's basically playing a raunchier, more evil version of Morgana!).

Watched the rest of it last night and it was pretty meh, made WWE look like a masterpiece. Disappointing.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Wed April 3rd, 2013, 10:11 am

I haven't watched Labyrinth yet but did watch the first episode of The Village yesterday. Yes, it is pretty grim. I might try another episode to see if it improves. I'm from 'up north' and it's definitely not as grim as that. LOL.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sun April 7th, 2013, 11:58 am

I watched Labyrinth last night and enjoyed it. I found I had to watch it very closely or otherwise I think I may have been very lost. The amount of adverts was very annoying and I thought they were detrimental to the flow of the story. They seemed to be every 10 minutes. I'm glad I'd recorded it so I could fast-forward.

I spotted Kate Mosse's cameo appearance as a tour guide at the end!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”