Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones Season 3

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Light within Us" by Charlotte Betts
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 29th, 2013, 9:30 am

I notice Thronecast isn't on tonight as there's a new series starting straight after Game... Not sure if the Thronecast will be on another night after one of the repeats.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue April 30th, 2013, 1:18 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I notice Thronecast isn't on tonight as there's a new series starting straight after Game... Not sure if the Thronecast will be on another night after one of the repeats.[/quote]

I watched yesterday's show and there are times where I long to slap Robb silly! And now the scene is being set for another episode :( :(

I had to laugh at the expression on Cersei's smug face after her father's announcement...Classic!!! :p :p :D

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue April 30th, 2013, 9:21 am

Game of Thrones is repeated on a Sunday but Thronecast is still absent. I wonder what happened to it?

I haven't watched last night's episode yet.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue April 30th, 2013, 1:24 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]I watched yesterday's show and there are times where I long to slap Robb silly! And now the scene is being set for another episode :( :([/quote]

The thing I never understood in the books was why Martin had all these minor aged children making major decisions. In the books, both Rob and Jon Snow are 15, Dany is 14. I know the show raised the ages, thank goodness, but even if Rob was 18, it would be difficult for him to make decent decisions without help from advisors. So I always cut the kids some slack. Same goes for Arya with her three names. She was 9 in the book, a little older in the show. She wouldn't have thought of others who would have played more prominence in the power of Westerous; she would have thought of who was bothering her here and now.

That being said, I don't cut any slack for Joffrey, he is a monster.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed May 1st, 2013, 1:36 am

[quote=""Ash""]The thing I never understood in the books was why Martin had all these minor aged children making major decisions. In the books, both Rob and Jon Snow are 15, Dany is 14. I know the show raised the ages, thank goodness, but even if Rob was 18, it would be difficult for him to make decent decisions without help from advisors. So I always cut the kids some slack. Same goes for Arya with her three names. She was 9 in the book, a little older in the show. She wouldn't have thought of others who would have played more prominence in the power of Westerous; she would have thought of who was bothering her here and now.

That being said, I don't cut any slack for Joffrey, he is a monster.[/quote]

The only child who seemed to act his age is Rickon and yet he was the first one to see his father's dead figure in the tombs(if memory serves me). Bran always seemed older than his years and Sansa behaved much like any teenager with her fairy-tale look at life(was it right to keep her so ignorant of what life really is like?) And Arya also seemed older than her years.

I also thought that Ned did Jon Snow a disservice by not letting him know what the Wall really was like and in a sense Jon did feel justifiably so that Ned betrayed him in this. And Robb, he was doing so well and then he goes and breaks his oath to the Frey's, when he has taken such a strong stand against 'oath breakers.'

As for Monday's episode I thought the scene between Jaime and Brienne(as they share a bath) truly amazing and very moving.

SPOILER
This aspect really upset me in the books and I threw it across the room! Before picking it up again lol.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Wed May 1st, 2013, 2:30 am

[quote=""rebecca""]The only child who seemed to act his age is Rickon and yet he was the first one to see his father's dead figure in the tombs(if memory serves me). Bran always seemed older than his years and Sansa behaved much like any teenager with her fairy-tale look at life(was it right to keep her so ignorant of what life really is like?) And Arya also seemed older than her years.

I also thought that Ned did Jon Snow a disservice by not letting him know what the Wall really was like and in a sense Jon did feel justifiably so that Ned betrayed him in this. And Robb, he was doing so well and then he goes and breaks his oath to the Frey's, when he has taken such a strong stand against 'oath breakers.'

As for Monday's episode I thought the scene between Jaime and Brienne(as they share a bath) truly amazing and very moving.

SPOILER
This aspect really upset me in the books and I threw it across the room! Before picking it up again lol.

Bec :) [/quote]

As to your question about a certain zombie:

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:28 am

I can't wait to see this week's episode.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed May 1st, 2013, 3:21 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]I also thought that Ned did Jon Snow a disservice by not letting him know what the Wall really was like and in a sense Jon did feel justifiably so that Ned betrayed him in this. And Robb, he was doing so well and then he goes and breaks his oath to the Frey's, when he has taken such a strong stand against 'oath breakers.'

SPOILER

Bec :) [/quote]

I agree that Ned did sort of trick Jon into joining the Night's Watch, but then perhaps he thought that if he told Jon what life on the Wall was really like, he wouldn't go? I think he thought it was the best way to ensure Jon's safety.

Re the other thing (the one that made you throw the book across the room ;) ), I did think that

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed May 1st, 2013, 6:57 pm

Thronecast is now shown on Thursday morning at 12.15 if anyone is interested. A strange time but Game of Thrones is repeated tonight in the UK at 11pm so Thronecast is shown after this now.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu May 2nd, 2013, 1:34 am

[quote=""lauragill""]As to your question about a certain zombie:
[/quote]

Yes, that makes sense, but I still hate what the author did to her!

@Madeleine in the spoiler below. You are right in your opinion of why Ned kept the truth back from Jon, but I can understand Jon's bitterness once he realised what he had got himself into. I can't wait for Monday's episode. Every episode seems to have a WOW moment.

SPOILER

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”