Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Women's History Month

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Women's History Month

Post by Ash » Thu March 21st, 2013, 1:22 pm

This month my book group is reading about women in history, each of us choosing a different topic for discussion. I was thinking about reading the new bio of Eleanor of Aquitane, but wasn't sure if it was out yet. Does anyone know? But Im also thinking that I might want to read about someone I know little about.
Perhaps a woman from a completely different part of the world, perhaps during ancient times (something besides Greek, Roman or Egyptian) Any recommendations?

And what women in history would you most want to read about if you were in this group? What books would you recommend (looking at non-fiction only).

Thanks
Last edited by Ash on Thu March 21st, 2013, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu March 21st, 2013, 2:04 pm

How about early women writers? The first novel (that we have record of) was written by Murasaki Shikibu, The Tale of Genji. or Christine de Pizan, a 14thcentury writer of Chivalric Romances.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu March 21st, 2013, 2:05 pm

[quote=""MLE""]How about early women writers? The first novel (that we have record of) was written by Murasaki Shikibu, The Tale of Genji. or Christine de Pizan, a 14thcentury writer of Chivalric Romances.[/quote]

I second that MLE!

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu March 21st, 2013, 2:16 pm

Yep, I was just about to suggest reading some of the court ladies' diaries from Japan's Heian period (when the Tale of Genji was written). There's plenty to be gleaned from them, I can promise you - my thesis was based on these works (in a nutshell, what women today have in common with what the court women of Heian Japan have conveyed of themselves in these diaries).

These are my three favourites:

Diaries of Court Ladies of Old Japan - Three in one, including the diary of Murasaki Shikibu, author of The Tale of Genji.

The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon - The most famous of the diaries, very lively.
The Gossamer Years - The lady who wrote this one was unhappy with the way her husband treated her. It's more sombre in tone than the others and I frequently felt very sympathetic to the lady, and felt myself getting angry on her behalf!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri March 22nd, 2013, 12:08 am

Actually I've read Tale of the Genji and City of Ladies, good ideas tho. But for our group we are focusing on women in history, esp those who make history in some way.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri March 22nd, 2013, 2:52 am

Return to “General Discussion”