Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

UK Uni Life

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

UK Uni Life

Post by Rowan » Tue March 19th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Okay this isn't a request about a book or books covering a certain period nor a particular person, but a way of life that's been around for hundreds of years. I'm looking for probably a non-fiction book about life at university primarily of the oldest universities in the UK. I recently got finished listening to a book which was set in a fictional college of Cambridge University, but any time I looked up information on certain roles within the college, they were real. So I'm interested in how university life evolved into what it is today. I guess this would primarily encompass the ancient universities in the UK. Thanks for any help.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue March 19th, 2013, 2:43 pm

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I found this article about life in a Victorian female university dormitory of interest when I saw it last month:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21425200

I guess you would have to actually visit the university libraries themselves to get access to such wonderful things as that photo archive, though. I'm afraid I don't know of any books on the subject, but hopefully someone else can help :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue March 19th, 2013, 3:42 pm

What I know of university / public school life in Britain comes from two autobiographies detailing the situation as it was in the early twentieth century: M.M. Kaye's The Sun in the Morning and C.S. Lewis' Surprised by Joy. Both more about teenage years than university years, although the film on C.S. Lewis as a Magdalen College don, Shadowlands, also gave a revealing glimpse of the professor/student relationship.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed March 20th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Thanks for your replies ladies, but I'm looking for information that goes back to the beginnings of each school. I am strongly considering your suggestion to contact the libraries of said schools directly, LadyB. :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 20th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Oxford and Cambridge are both distinguished by operating as collegiate universities. See Wikipedia on Colleges within Universities in the UK for more detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleges_w ... ed_Kingdom

A certain amount of info can be found on the respective websites of Oxford and Cambridge Universities

Oxford -Structure of the University
http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_universit ... index.html

Cambridge- How the university and colleges work
http://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-universi ... leges-work

You could go for non-fiction histories like

The University of Oxford: A New History
and
The University of Cambridge: an 800th Anniversary Portrait

but they might be hard to come by in the States- library inter-loan, maybe?
Last edited by annis on Wed March 20th, 2013, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”