Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Adult historical fiction..YAWN

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Adult historical fiction..YAWN

Post by Divia » Mon March 11th, 2013, 11:56 pm

OMG I can't believe I am saying this but looking back over the course of a year 1/2 I realized that there are very few adult HF novels that I have read, or even wanted to read.

Most of what I have read is YA(mostly due to the job)

But the other day I was in B&N feeling all giddy about buying a HF book and I looked and I looked and I found....nothing :(

I'm not big on European stuff(though I will read it as long as its not the Tudors). I thought oh perhaps something like Downton(I do love me some of that), but the three titles I found didn't appeal to me. Victorian Era stuff(eh, I'm not holding my breath).

I just dont know. I feel like I am in a reading slump. Does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone have some titles that they think I may enjoy? OMG I am dying here. I want to read something a bit more beefy than just YA.

HELP! :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Tue March 12th, 2013, 12:24 am

Gone With the Wind is always good for me...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 12th, 2013, 12:42 am

How about The Passing Bells by Philip Rock, if you're wanting some WWI stuff. For that matter, there's also Over There by by Thomas Fleming. Libraries should have both of them.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 12th, 2013, 12:49 am

You might look into James Alexander Thom, I seem to recall US history is of interest to you. I've only read one so far (Follow the River), but it definitely more adult minded.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue March 12th, 2013, 1:22 am

Well I wanted pre 1914. And I never really liked how male authors write HF. Or rather they tend not to write the stuff I enjoy which is more social than war history.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue March 12th, 2013, 1:33 am

I have always enjoyed reading Taylor Caldwell my favourites being:

Testimony of Two Men

Captains and the Kings

Melissa

And I have been trying to get 'Dialogue with the Devil' for ages, but it always seems out of stock.... :(

Here is a link to her books

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/taylor-caldwell/

There are times when I don't feel like reading anything too heavy and have just finished two Judith McNaughts which I thoroughly enjoyed...But it's entirely up to you what you choose...Good luck!

Bec :)
Last edited by rebecca on Tue March 12th, 2013, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to add a link

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue March 12th, 2013, 12:17 pm

I've been keeping a Downton-like reading list on Amazon, maybe there's something on there you haven't read yet which will interest you: http://www.amazon.com/lm/R1UJ14CDGJJAML ... lm_title_2

Also, given last year's anniversary, I was keeping a Titanic novel list: http://www.amazon.com/lm/RO7MMZ15D55JX/ ... lm_title_1
Last edited by Mythica on Tue March 12th, 2013, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 12th, 2013, 2:29 pm

There's also a Dowton Abbey like books list at Goodreads. Linky.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue March 12th, 2013, 3:13 pm

Divia, it isn't your era, and it's Italy, but I think you might enjoy Elizabeth Loupas' Second Duchess. For one thing, it's pretty fast-moving, almost YA in places. Also, it involves the regrets of a teenager (POV as a ghost) and the mystery of how she died. Quite a different experience, but if you look at the reviews, you'll see I'm not the only one who liked it.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Tue March 12th, 2013, 11:05 pm

I really enjoyed The Kitchen House, which is per-civil war U.S. If you like older British history, I recommend James Aitchenson's Sworn Sword.

Return to “General Discussion”