Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cliches in Historical Fiction

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat March 2nd, 2013, 11:55 pm

Oh yah all those baths.
And what about women growing hair almost to their knees? :D
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun March 3rd, 2013, 12:06 am

About El Cid, here is my favourite painting of him with Jimena. Painted in the 20th century by Marceliano Santa María. Sorry the pic is in perspective but I can't find something better. It even looks smaller than it is.
— Frank Zappa

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun March 3rd, 2013, 12:06 am

And here's me thinking El Cid looked just like Charlton Heston, lol! Actually I did think I read somewhere that the real El Cid had blond hair, but no idea where I picked that up :) All I remember from the Lay of El Cid are lovingly detailed descriptions of his clothing!
Last edited by annis on Sun March 3rd, 2013, 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun March 3rd, 2013, 12:15 am

Interesting.

I totally agree about the class thing, and can I extend that to race as well. Like in Philipa Greogry's book. OMG I thought I was going to die!!! A married white woman carrying on an affair with a black slave. :eek: Oh my!!!!!!!!!

I have a few other too, but I'll keep those hush hush. ;)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun March 3rd, 2013, 12:50 am

I haven't seen this as often recently, but heroines with "a mouth too big for beauty." OK, I know it was the style in certain periods for women to have little rosebud mouths, but I always picture a woman with gigantically wide lips.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun March 3rd, 2013, 7:56 am

And why is always full moon when they have to go out in the night? :D
— Frank Zappa

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun March 3rd, 2013, 8:47 am

Modern terms or swear words. Giving 'magic powers' to the characters. (I like historical fantasy, but I've seen some novels that over-use it.)
Last edited by Nefret on Sun March 3rd, 2013, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun March 3rd, 2013, 9:50 am

How is that when they have to sleep in some inn there is always private rooms like a 5 stars hotel? :D They had to share rooms. They had to share beds. Even with people of the opposite sex. I remember reading many years ago a medieval manual on how to behave in all the cases. I thought it was funny at the time. Now I wish I knew where I read it. Some magazine? hmmm
Private rooms my @ss.
— Frank Zappa

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm

Something you probably see more in romances than HFs, but it does happen on occasion and drives me batty. Tell me once or twice how slim the heroine's wrist/waist is or how slender and creamy her neck is. Or the hero's well chisled chin or well-built chest. Once or twice, then move on, don't keep clubbing the reader over the head with it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon March 4th, 2013, 1:31 am

We could use a few ugly female protagonists in fiction. And some fat ones (Bless Julia Gregson for her chubby Tori in East of the Sun). I know that a writer wants the reader to identify with her character, and women (70% or greater of HF readers) like to pretend that they are gorgeous, so it's easier for the writer, and a better bet for the publisher to make her pretty.

But it seems that a really skilled novelist could pull it off brilliantly. After all, 50% of us are below average. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”