Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Vikings" - History Channel

Barnitz

Post by Barnitz » Sun March 31st, 2013, 5:31 am

I recently read an interview with the creator of Rome and he had some interesting things to say about why those inaccuracies were there. They found out that the show was cancelled (because it was so expensive to produce) early in the second season. They had projected a four or five year horizon for the story. They were planning to spend an entire year or more in Egypt alone. Then all of a sudden they had to wrap things up in a hurry. So some of the battle intervals were compressed, etc. He wasn't happy that they had to do it like that, and they hadn't originally planned for it to go that way, but they had no alternative. With Vikings, it seems to me that when you have a mid-9th century viking pillage a monastery in the late 8th century (and then go back to Northumbria and attack Hexham, apparently in the same raiding season) you've made an up front decision about the story you're telling and not responding to a situation handed to you by the suits in the front office. Deadwood suffered the same fate.

I'm thinking that the exec who killed Rome isn't there anymore, or we'd never have seen a third season of Game of Thrones, with production crews working simultaneously in Malta, Croatia, Northern Ireland, and Iceland.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed February 19th, 2014, 2:17 am

Season 2 of Vikings starts Thursday, February 27, 2014 on the History Channel. Season 1 can be watched (as of the date of this post) at the History Channel website. History Channel: Vikings
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed February 19th, 2014, 3:39 am

Really? It's coming next week? That's the best show on that channel.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu February 20th, 2014, 1:45 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Really? It's coming next week? That's the best show on that channel.[/quote]

You can say that again! I don't know why it is called the History Channel any more. I miss the days when I could turn on that channel and be guaranteed to see a show about history.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu February 20th, 2014, 4:23 am

[quote=""Susan""]You can say that again! I don't know why it is called the History Channel any more. I miss the days when I could turn on that channel and be guaranteed to see a show about history.[/quote]

Even their other channel doesn't play much history stuff anymore.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”