Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Online chat transcript

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Online chat transcript

Post by princess garnet » Thu October 9th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Here's the transcript from today's online chat with Philippa on Washington Post-Book World. Enjoy everyone!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 10th, 2008, 3:50 pm

Thanks for the link, some interesting comments there by PG.
This is an interesting and important question - I feel very strongly that as an historian it is my task to represent the history as accurately as I can.
**scratches head*** It's been a few years but didn't she have Elizabeth sleeping with Dudley in one book and the perpetual virgin in the next? And correct me if I'm wrong I seem to recall the author stating that these were works of fiction/novels?
Especially I am working on Elizabeth Woodville who was the mother of the princes in the tower and one of the skills I bring to this is a bit of commonsense - can I really believe that with one son in the Tower of London she would give her second son up to her enemy? I can't - so I start to read the record very critically to see what else might have happened in this mystery.
Interesting choice to get into writing about the Plantagenets.
The question of Anne's incest is powerfully suggested by the historical record, she was found guilty of incest and adultery. Perhaps we think now that this was a show trial but people at the time were convinced of her guilt, and the novel is written from the point of view of her sister, who would probably have shared the general fear.
Hmmm. Perhaps someone more knowledgable about Anne can comment on that.

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Fri October 10th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Being computer technology challenged, I don't know how to copy a quote from the PG transcript, but.... I tho't her comment that she had "pioneered" the literary technique of "writing in the first person present tense" seemed a bit pretentious to say the least.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 10th, 2008, 6:48 pm

I am very glad I missed that part, I might have thrown something at my monitor. :mad:

As for quoting, I highlighted the parts in the interview I wanted, copied, pasted them here and highlighted again and clicked on on the quote botton above a voila (!) I think I'm a computer genius :p

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri October 10th, 2008, 11:24 pm

This is an interesting and important question - I feel very strongly that as an historian it is my task to represent the history as accurately as I can.
Question: Does Ms. Gregory have a degree in history?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri October 10th, 2008, 11:38 pm

Her bio says she has a BA in history and a PhD in 18th-century literature.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri October 10th, 2008, 11:39 pm

[quote=""lindymc""]Being computer technology challenged, I don't know how to copy a quote from the PG transcript, but.... I tho't her comment that she had "pioneered" the literary technique of "writing in the first person present tense" seemed a bit pretentious to say the least.[/quote]

To put it mildly! (Thanks for posting the link, Princess Garnet.)

I was intrigued by this quote from the interview:

I am even considering an annotated edition so people could see exactly what facts are sourced from history and what are speculation.
Do you think readers would buy such a thing?

I would find that interesting, for one.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri October 10th, 2008, 11:49 pm

I'm also sure there have been other historical novels written in 1st person present tense, but I'm having trouble thinking of them off the top of my head. Anyone else?

That annotated edition would be interesting. I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sat October 11th, 2008, 12:06 am

That quote about pioneering the the present first person tense really jarred me as well.
Who else has used it lately? Vanora Bennett? Tracey Chevalier.. I've got to to check!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 11th, 2008, 12:10 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]I'm also sure there have been other historical novels written in 1st person present tense, but I'm having trouble thinking of them off the top of my head. Anyone else?

That annotated edition would be interesting. I don't think I've seen anything like that before.[/quote]

Although I can't think of many right off the top of my head, I'm sure the first person POV was used in historicals well before PG did. Maybe she's thinking of multiple first person POV's?

Return to “Philippa Gregory”