Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Your favorite cookbook and others you really like

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri October 17th, 2008, 10:47 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]
I grew up eating whole grains so it doesn't taste bitter to me although it is much stronger tasting than white flour. The King Arthur flour book says that orange cancels out that bitter flavor and a lot of their recipes add a tablespoon or two of orange juice. Interestingly, the bitter flavor comes from tannins found in the germ or bran of the wheat. Also, there is a White Whole Wheat flour that is made from white wheat instead of red wheat. I buy the King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill brand. It's much lighter in flavor but it's still a whole grain. I do use white flour although I always feel better if I can manage to use whole grain and still have something come out delicious. For whole grain breads I prefer oat based or a multi grain rather than 100% whole wheat. It just tastes better to me.
[/quote]

What is Kamut flour? I've never heard of it.

King Arthur Flour is such a great site, and their catalog is always full of tempting things. Glad to see another convert.

By all means, hold out for that big stand mixer -- I've been using the industrial size Kitchenaid with the uber-motor for about a decade now and love it. There's really no other way to make say, meringues or madeleines.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat October 18th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I got Nigella Express in the mail yesterday and have been flipping through this very pretty hardcover book. Oh, what yummy looking pictures - and I think I can make this good stuff!

The book is so very nice that I don't want to goop it up while prepping these dishes, so I'll take it to work and copy a dozen or so recipes I want to try and use them as 'working copies'. Plus I can fold them into my purse and refer to them while shopping for ingredients.

I'm going to try page 11's Mustard Pork Chops tonight. I'm so happy the Publix grocery market has a one whole side of an aisle full of wine! Chops and morphed grapes for me tonight.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Sat October 25th, 2008, 12:10 am

Lately I tend to keep going to the cookbooks compiled by different organizations. They tend to have all the best family tested, tried and true favorite recipes. My favorite is the 4-H cookbook. (Cattle farming community organization)
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat October 25th, 2008, 3:46 am

[quote=""Telynor""]What is Kamut flour? I've never heard of it.

[/quote]

Ooops, I didn't see this until just now! Kamut is an ancient grain that is similar to wheat. It has more vitamins, mineral, and protein though.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat October 25th, 2008, 8:39 pm

My cooking bible is the old Joy of Cooking by Marion Rombauer Becker. It's full of basics that I can adapt as I please to suit my personal tastes and preferences.

Since we are an international group, I'll tell a cautionary story about a British cookbook I once tried to make bread from. The dough came out very wet and runny, the bread never rose properly, and the bread was inedibly gooey in the middle when baked. I later realized that the British "cup" measure is a completely different size than the American one. The cookbook had me measure the flour by weight, so I put the "right" amount of flour in the recipe, but much too much liquid!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Chat”