Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Overdone eras

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Helen_Davis

Overdone eras

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun February 3rd, 2013, 9:32 pm

I posted one about overdone protagonists awhile back. What do you all think are some overdone eras? For me theyr are

TUDOR ENGLAND
French Revolution
Civil War
World War Two

Can anyone think of any more? Also, what about some eras that are neglected? IMO, the entire ancient world is sorely neglected and also I think the Early Middle Ages is too. I'd also like to see more on the Roaring 20s. I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts! I know publishers need to publish what will sell, but IMO, I think we need to open reader's ideas and minds to new eras as well.

DanielAWillis
Reader

Post by DanielAWillis » Sun February 3rd, 2013, 9:37 pm

I would only agree with Tudor Engand.

To me, it takes a lot to overdue a period. But the Tudor era is one that has.

As long as good stories are coming out about an era, I don't think it is overdone. But Tudor has long since been rehashes of the same stories.

Another one that was getting close was Renaissance Italy, but those stories have died down a bit in past decade or so.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun February 3rd, 2013, 9:42 pm

[quote=""DanielAWillis""]I would only agree with Tudor Engand.

To me, it takes a lot to overdue a period. But the Tudor era is one that has.

As long as good stories are coming out about an era, I don't think it is overdone. But Tudor has long since been rehashes of the same stories.

Another one that was getting close was Renaissance Italy, but those stories have died down a bit in past decade or so.[/quote]

Agreed. The Tudors are DONE. I agree with Renaissance Italy too. Maybe the publishers can take a hint about the Tudors? ;)

WW2 I just can't stand to read about. I read about the Holocaust when I was younger and to me it is just so heartbreaking I cannot think about it. Also my grandpa was in WW2 and he washed out and he was ashamed for life about it. It is just too close to home and my heart breaks for Hitler's victims-- and their tormentors, that they could have lost their souls and be so out of touch with humanity. The Nazis were not human. At least Eichmann got his karma.
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Sun February 3rd, 2013, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun February 3rd, 2013, 10:24 pm

The problem with this viewpoint is it is a world centered around one reader. 'Overdone' might be true if that one reader chose to read or gripe about all the books from a certain period. But there are many people who have not yet read ONE SINGLE TUDOR book. Or one about any of those other periods that are 'over-represented'.

Perhaps we should have a quota system based on how many people actually existed in a given period to read about. In which case, 75% of all literature would be about India and China. :(

Now as for me, I prefer stories set before the internal combustion engine. And also before computers. But there are just zillions of books out there that are set in contemporary times.

Stop them, I say! Let the publishing houses and writers know that I will no longer read a single one of their contemporary books! And I will complain about them! :mad: :mad:

Who agrees with me? :D :D
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Sun February 3rd, 2013, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun February 3rd, 2013, 10:38 pm

Tudor England, definitely. (Though I still have a lot of novels). The Napoleonic Era has a lot too.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun February 3rd, 2013, 10:40 pm

LOL MLE - right on!

Sarah Johnson (Ariadne) posted a breakdown of the number of books reviewed in this month's HNS review and the majority are 19th and 20th centuries. Everyone keeps muttering about there being too many Tudor books around, but it so isn't true.

Here's Sarah's breakdown

Classical – 1 title
2nd century – 1 title
8th – 1 title
11th – 1 title
12th – 4 titles
13th – 2 titles
14th – 1 title
15th – 3 titles
16th – 9 titles
17th – 7 titles
18th – 11 titles
19th – 70 titles
20th – 81 titles
Multi-period – 10 titles
Timeslip – 4 titles
Alternate history – 2 titles
Fantasy/paranormal – 5 titles
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun February 3rd, 2013, 11:12 pm

And of course one man's "overdone" is another man's "I can't get enough of - keep 'em coming!".

And a future reader could be glad of a present vogue for an era when that setting has fallen out of favour.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon February 4th, 2013, 12:27 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]And of course one man's "overdone" is another man's "I can't get enough of - keep 'em coming!".

And a future reader could be glad of a present vogue for an era when that setting has fallen out of favour.[/quote]

True. Like all your posts everyone! I just wanted to vent a little since I don't think I will be able to stomach another Tudor book for a very long time. And glad to see alternate history at least made the list! :) Maybe there is a chance for me! Wish me luck! And yes, Nefret-- how could I forget the Napoleonic era?

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Mon February 4th, 2013, 1:59 am

Thanks for reposting the breakdown, EC2! The Tudor era has had some high-profile and bestselling novels of late, but in looking at the overall picture and the number of titles published, it doesn't dominate and really never has. And of the 9 titles reviewed this month that were set in the 16th c, there were novels of Italy, France, and Japan mixed in there too. There was one novel in there about Tudor royalty, DL Bogdan's The Forgotten Queen (about Henry VIII's sister Margaret), but that's it.

Another thing to look at - if you go to the HNS website and click on Period on the top right, you'll see a word cloud in which the font size represents the prominence of the era in the entire review database (5000+ titles). Or ditto with Century. 19th and 20th c are the biggest categories, though people don't gripe about the number of Victorian-set novels. At least I haven't heard it yet :D

I'll gladly read another Tudor novel if it brings something new to the table. I'm also starting to hear a bit of push-back against the number of WWI-era novels thanks to a certain popular TV program, but this has been such a neglected period up until recently that I can only say "bring it on" :)

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Mon February 4th, 2013, 2:48 am

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]I posted one about overdone protagonists awhile back. What do you all think are some overdone eras? For me theyr are

TUDOR ENGLAND
French Revolution
Civil War
World War Two

Can anyone think of any more? Also, what about some eras that are neglected? IMO, the entire ancient world is sorely neglected and also I think the Early Middle Ages is too. I'd also like to see more on the Roaring 20s. I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts! I know publishers need to publish what will sell, but IMO, I think we need to open reader's ideas and minds to new eras as well.[/quote]

I think the publishing industry has a lot to do with neglected eras. Agents and editors are reluctant to consider anything that isn't trending. I found that out when I tried to submit my work.

Also, some eras are neglected because of the difficulty researching them, especially some of the ancient eras where information is scarce. Egypt is well-documented, because we can read their inscriptions, but civilizations like Minoan Crete or the people who built Stonehenge aren't as well understood.

Return to “General Discussion”