Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? February 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 19th, 2013, 4:26 pm

[quote=""Lady of Bennachie""]Same here, last Erskine I read was On the Edge of Darkness, and that just wasn't very good at all. I still have Time's Legacy on my bookshelf, unread - is that one any better?[/quote]

I didn't like that one either! Thought it was silly, with a daft ending :rolleyes: I've heard better things about Time's Legacy though, which I haven't read yet but also have on a tbr pile.
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue February 19th, 2013, 6:02 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I finished that the other day. I enjoyed it as well although I thought the middle with Catherine moving from castle to castle got a little boring after awhile. Now reading The Forgotten Queen by DL Bogdan.[/quote]

I was enjoying it until
. I don't know of any historical evidence for that episode, and I really hate it when authors turn historical figures into sexual predators without any supporting evidence. It's a cheap way of generating reader sympathy for a heroine.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Tue February 19th, 2013, 7:15 pm

The Second Empress. I am confused by the multiple narrators. Some authors can pull it off, but I don't feel Moran can.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Tue February 19th, 2013, 7:16 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I was enjoying it until
. I don't know of any historical evidence for that episode, and I really hate it when authors turn historical figures into sexual predators without any supporting evidence. It's a cheap way of generating reader sympathy for a heroine.[/quote]

Agreed, bb. I had an episode in my story where Evita was raped, however, I did see that in a biography of her and I feel it could possibly have had some insight into Eva's character. But it was not a violent scene-- just enough so the reader knows what happened.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed February 20th, 2013, 12:19 am

I'm now reading Jennifer Chiaverini's Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed February 20th, 2013, 4:46 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'm now reading Jennifer Chiaverini's Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker.[/quote]

Please let us know what you think. I was fascinated by that character in the movie Lincoln and thought at the time she would make a great narrator for a story.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu February 21st, 2013, 10:20 am

The Silk Train Murder by Sharon Rowse, Vancouver 1899. The preview was good but 150 pages in I'm starting to be a little tired of the guy always asking the wrong questions.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri February 22nd, 2013, 12:26 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'm now reading Jennifer Chiaverini's Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker.[/quote]

Let me know too and if it is any good I'll order it once I have saved enough for another mega Amazon buying spree! :D

Bec :)

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri February 22nd, 2013, 4:54 am

Murder Most Royal by Plaidy. Very good but not for the faint of heart!

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Fri February 22nd, 2013, 7:44 am

The Bloody Meadow by William Ryan, Russia 1937
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Return to “General Discussion”