Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Article about Rosemary Sutcliff

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Article about Rosemary Sutcliff

Post by parthianbow » Mon January 21st, 2013, 11:16 am

It was to tie in with the UK re-release of Sword at Sunset. Read it here.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon January 21st, 2013, 10:39 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I'm so glad history "sells" and is published these days, because it's what I most like to read!

Our own Annis reviewed Sword at Sunset for HistoricalNovels.info here recently. There's a link on the review page to an interview with Sutcliff that suggests why she may have written so extraordinarily well about the experiences of Arthurian-era warriors. In the interview, she says:
Somebody once said to me,"Perhaps you'll be a soldier in another life." I heard myself saying, "No, thank you, I have had enough of soldiering." Perhaps it was something I remembered. I know that I was really quite startled when I heard my own voice saying this.
Fascinating!
Last edited by Margaret on Mon January 21st, 2013, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed January 23rd, 2013, 2:14 am

Erechwydd also posted a review of Sword at Sunset on this forum here not too long ago. Great to see the book is getting another reprint.

I''ll copy your article link to Anthony Lawton's Rosemary Sutcliff blog via FB, Ben - hope that's okay with you. I'm sure it will of interest there. AL's blog has been in abeyance of late, but I believe he hopes to get it going again this year.

The article mentions that Scotland as such didn't exist in the periods where RS set her Roman British books, but the lands around and north of Hadrian's Wall certainly feature large in her work- Eagle of the Ninth, Frontier Wolf and (my personal favourite RS novel) Mark of the Horse Lord, for example. The Capricorn Bracelet follows several generations of Roman soldiers stationed at the Wall and was based on a set of scripts Sutcliff originally wrote for a BBC Radio Scotland programme about Roman Scotland.

Although intuition always played a important part in Sutcliff's writing, clearly all her ideas didn't come out of the ether, so to speak, but also from her extensive reading and research. If anyone is interested in an analysis of literary influences on RS's Sword at Sunset, Nicole Dentzien's Openess of Myth in the Arthurian Tradition is well worth a read. This book can be read online as a Google Book (link in title above) – see Chapter III, Sections 1-3, pp 107-152, Rosemary Sutcliff’s “Sword at Sunset”. As is usual with Google books there may be a page or two missing (a copyright technicality), but the majority of the text is made available. The relevant section is hyperlinked in the book’s Contents.

Edit: I see Robert Vermaat has beaten me to it in adding this article to the Rosemary Sutcliff blog! Great minds and all that...
Last edited by annis on Thu January 24th, 2013, 2:46 am, edited 16 times in total.

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Sat January 26th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Dentzien's book sounds interesting, Annis; definitely checking that out later! And thanks for linking to my review. :) Sword at Sunset remains one of my favourite hist fic reads and it's great to see its anniversary being celebrated with a new edition.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat January 26th, 2013, 9:46 pm

I've just rechecked the Google book version of Dentzien's book, Erechwydd, and regret to say that a large chunk of the Rosemary Sutcliff section which was originally available to read online has since vanished - curses! You might have to get a copy through library interloan so you can read the rest of it :( Unless you read German, though, do make sure you get the English language edition.
Last edited by annis on Sat January 26th, 2013, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Sun January 27th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Oh drat, that's a shame. I do read some German, but probably not enough for this, so thanks for alerting me to the fact that there are two different language versions. And interlibrary loans cost enough as it is, without me accidentally ordering a book from Germany... :p

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon January 28th, 2013, 12:39 am

And speaking of which - Annis has added several paragraphs to her article on Sutcliff at HistoricalNovels.info on what inspired the subject matter of Sutcliff's books.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “History in the News”