Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Signed books

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu October 9th, 2008, 10:36 am

I have several signed by Sharon Kay Penman (went to visit her in Leicester when she was on tour a few years ago) one by Helen Hollick. Joanne Harris, C.C. Humphries, Bernard Cornwell Katie Fforde and Lindsey Davis.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu October 9th, 2008, 10:52 am

I have bookplates from Sharon Kay Penman.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 9th, 2008, 11:11 am

The only book I owned that is signed is the Heretic Queen.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Thu October 9th, 2008, 12:17 pm

I have a couple signed by Colleen Gleason and I wrote off for (and received) bookplates from Diana Gabaldon and Audrey McClellan. These are not ones I had personally signed but I bought a hardcover copy (from half.com) of THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE and it was signed -- though no mention was made about it on the website. Also, I picked up a used "library" copy of one of Maeve Binchy's books (at BOOKSAMILLION) and it was signed -- though I didn't realize it until much later. I recently purchased a book about Flannery O'Connor at a booksigning so that one is signed, as well.

Lynn

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu October 9th, 2008, 12:25 pm

[quote=""JMJacobsen""]I've never been big on attending book signings and have only made two exceptions:

1) I attended one in Denver when Pres. Clinton was in town signing books to promote his autobiography. Snarky comments aside, he was personable and extremely charismatic. At that moment, I absolutely understood how "what happened" happened, if you catch my meaning. :eek:

2) The year my son was born we attended the annual Dickens on the Strand Festival in Galveston, Texas. I stood in line for 3 hours to have Charles Dicken's great-great-grandson sign a beautiful copy of A Christmas Carol. My son and I read it every Christmas and I hope the book gets passed on to his children.[/quote]

Oh, I have the great-great-grandson's signature too, come to think of it! He spoke at an event near us. And I can well imagine that Clinton was charming.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu October 9th, 2008, 1:54 pm

I have a few:

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
Hugh and Bess by Susan Higginbotham
The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander
and one book plate from Elizabeth Chadwick (I bought the book used but can't remember which one it is off the top of my head - it's one of her earlier books).

Maggie
Reader

Post by Maggie » Fri October 10th, 2008, 8:45 pm

I received two books hubby ordered for me (Moondance of Stonewylde and Solstice at Stonewylde) and they were both dedicated to me and signed by Kit Berry the author. :D
They are the only books I have that are signed.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat October 11th, 2008, 5:26 am

Thats nice Maggie, I love it if they are personal.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Anita Davison
Scribbler

Post by Anita Davison » Sat October 11th, 2008, 1:57 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]I'm always happy to send readers signed bookplates, and I think a lot of authors do it, too. You just have to write to them and ask.[/quote]

Rats . . .I bought 'The Last Queen' yesterday and this would have been lovely - if I hadn't bought the e-book version for the Sony E-Reader I got for my birthday . . .sigh.
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun October 12th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Pat Conroy signed a hardback copy of Beach Music for me about ten years ago, so I'll keep it!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Return to “General Discussion”